Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tapped the passenger side mirror while pulling out of the garage and the top & bottom mirror covers popped off, leaving the turn signal dangling. I disconnected the turn signal and have all three parts loose now. Can someone please tell me the correct order for reassembling?

Bottom, middle, top?

Top, middle, bottom?

Middle, bottom, top?

You get the idea! :)

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
If the turn signal was indeed "dangling," its mounting tabs are broken and it needs to be replaced. Also check that the mounting "claws" of the upper and lower mirror caps are still intact and functional. See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply! In the pdf, the illustration of the turn signal looks to be a slightly different shape than the one I have, but I'm doing this from memory. I'll check it all out later when I have time to look at the parts and compare.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
hope I'm not hijacking your thread, a bird flew into my passenger side mirror and popped the cover(s?) off, unfortunately on a 4 lane and they were destroyed by other traffic, mirror itself is fine, no turn signals, does anyone sell just the covers and if so who?
right now a roll of black duct tape is substituting for it, and not doing a bad job of it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
In the pdf, the illustration of the turn signal looks to be a slightly different shape than the one I have...
The PDF was from the MY 2015 FSM, and it should be the same for MY 2016 and MY 2017. Since the shape of the mirror housing changed for MY 2018, yours may very well be different.

... does anyone sell just the covers and if so who?
Yes ... your local Subaru dealer's parts department. You will probably have to have them painted to match.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the turn signal was indeed "dangling," its mounting tabs are broken and it needs to be replaced.
I tackled this little project last night and it all went well. It seems the 2018 turn signal design doesn't screw into place the way the illustration in your earlier model pdf shows. It snaps/clips into place and was intact. But when it popped off, the clip held on so strongly that it tore out a chunk of plastic from the mirror's skeleton onto which it was mounted -- about the size of a quarter.

Here are the steps I took to fix it:
- I found that quarter-sized chunk on my garage floor (under my nearby generator!!) and fit in back in place without crazy glue
- Snapped the turn signal to the broken chunk wedged back into skeleton
- Slid the top of the top mirror cover into place, then swung it down to engage the clips
- Worked the bottom mirror cover on and clipped it all around (one clip was sneaky near the pivot point for the mirror)

So, now that loose chunk is just being held in place by tension and I'll see how it goes. I really don't want to replace the whole mirror assembly.

All other claws/clips were intact on the covers so it went back together nicely and easily. And luckily, no scuffs on the painted mirror cover despite bouncing onto the garage floor! What stinks is the car is only three weeks old and already "broken." I'll get over it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
hope I'm not hijacking your thread, a bird flew into my passenger side mirror and popped the cover(s?) off, unfortunately on a 4 lane and they were destroyed by other traffic, mirror itself is fine, no turn signals, does anyone sell just the covers and if so who?
right now a roll of black duct tape is substituting for it, and not doing a bad job of it.
Yes ... your local Subaru dealer's parts department. You will probably have to have them painted to match.
The mirror caps are about $8ea and do only come in black. I had a second set painted silver on my 2017 Touring for under a $100. The dealers parts department put me in touch with the "scratches/dings" guy they use for any shipping and handling paintwork. Much cheaper than going through the dealer. And yes a brand spanking new OB may have been repainted by the dealer before the sale. Be sure to have the paint code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts