Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the home stretch on this one, but I have a few questions. Was able to find a con rod cap in the blown motor's oil pan, so I'm really happy I'm replacing the entire engine, and didn't just switch out timing chain parts...

1. What do you replace the plastic fuel return line hoses on the intake manifold with? The old ones just sort of crumbled. Just use fuel line with hose clamps?
2. When I pulled the engine, the torque converter came out with it. Do I just slide it back in, or to I have to pull the other shaft out as well, then re-install? I bought a new seal and bearing wear sleeve for this. You Tube videos show things differently than the manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,377 Posts
Can you post a picture of the fuel rail problem?

Pull the pump shaft, It is the large hollow shaft and install on TC then slide in. The two tabs on the pump shaft need to line up with the pump on the inside. When install correctly the TC should sit a few mm above the face of the trans bell housing. When you install the motor, the TC should be able to turn. If it does not turn you need to pull motor and reset. If you do not get the TC properly installed, when you put the motor in and torque down the bell housing bolts, the TC will crack the pump in the trans.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to find the replacement for this broken line:

The other end connects to the intake manifold assembly. As it stands, I'm 0/4 on removing these lines without breaking them. Same goes for the small hose elbows on the lower heater cross-over pipe.

It took a bit, but I was able to remove the pump shaft from it's lair. It was as far back as it could go, so it wasn't easy to grab a hold of it. Hopefully getting it back together won't be too hard. How to you keep the seal/bearing thing on the other end shaft in place during re-installation?

A picture of the current fun to be had...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the assist. I've got everything on order for the hoses.

I have one of those repair sleeves that go between a worn torque converter shaft and the seal. Does anyone know how far down that sleeve has to sit on the torque converter for it to operate correctly? I should be able to sharpie the shaft and get a smudge when I install the TC. Then repeat and put the sleeve where the smudge is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, finally got everything installed and fired it up for the first time last night. Took a little bit for everything to come back to life. Had about 3 seconds of CEL flashing, then it went out. It hasn't come back on in the 45-60 minutes it's been running in the garage. Now just checking for leaks, fluid level checks, and re-torquing of exhaust manifold bolts. She will be ready for a shake-down cruise tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts