Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my '03 Outback misfire about twice now right after starting it, I immediately turned it off then back on and it ran fine. Both instances happened after having driven the car some short distances and having it sit about 1-2 hours.

There is also a slight vibration at idle, I doubt it is related to axle shafts as the axles are OEM and I only had the right front inner cv boot changed.

Cometic Headgaskets, OEM timing belt & related components as well as NGK Iridium spark plugs, and Bluestreak Ignition Wires were installed about two weeks ago.

Vibration was there before the work was performed on it, I don't know about start up issue as I had these things done on it almost immediately after buying it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
298 Posts
It seems most of these cars vibrate at a stop. All of my subarus have and so does my current outback H6. It's just a habit of flat engines I suppose.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to update. I don't have any misfires, (I thought I did but I don't), the issue I had at start-up was just air in the fuel system from changing the fuel filter.

Anyway my Outback still has this intermittent vibration at idle with my foot on the brake, sometimes it vibrates a bit more, sometimes less. BTW I am comparing it to my '06 Forester that idles smooth with not one bit of vibration, same idle @ 750 rpm as well.

I don't have any CEL codes and as stated before I still have the original axles with the green ends. The car sits around 750 rpm @ idle in gear, which is when it happens.

Changed the pcv valve, cleaned the iacv, new fuel filter, put some fuel cleaner in fuel tank, new Denso front (A/F) o2 sensor, since my initial post which all seemed to help a bit...

Not sure where to go from here, my gas pedal has a bit of play (I need to adjust my throttle cable) would it be related to that? Anything else that i'm overlooking?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
How many miles.

Have you replaced the PCV valve?

does it misfire just once or more?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The misfire issue isn't my problem anymore.. i'm talking about the vibration @ idle now... my previous post has some info you might of missed...:)

125,000 miles, umm Nipper I just posted in my previous post that I changed my pcv valve and I wasn't actually having a misfire, just thought I was because of air in the fuel system and the car cut out due to that...

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
if it goes away when you shift to neutral, likely a bad axle.

not familiar with Bluestreak wires, NGK or Denso are usually recommended.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't a worn out axle cause clicking or knocking noises? It drives fine otherwise. It does go away when I shift to neutral.

My original passenger front inner boot was spraying grease at the outer boot ring, and I chose to just change the boot instead of replacing the axle it with an aftermarket axle due to all the reports on vibration..

Bluestreak is part of Standard Motor Parts, not sure if that helps, but I haven't had any problems with them..

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
I used to work for Standard ages ago, hence why i did not suggest getting OE wires instead. Bluestreak is their premium line, and very good.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I wonder if you got the axle seated in the transmission when you changed the boot. The vibration in drive at idle is largely been traced to poor aftermarket axles. Maybe the spring clip that holds the axle in is tired?

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts