Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!

We bought our 2011 Outback 2.5i in July 2016. It was high mileage (162k), but we snagged it for cheap. The car was in great shape, but had a bad viscous coupler; I replaced that, and all has been bueno...for the most part.

We drove the heck out of the car these past 14 months, and now the odometer reads 187k. I did all of my fluid changes ahead of schedule, and the car only burns an insignificant amount of oil (less than 1/2qt) in the approx 5,000miles between oil swaps.

Anyways, ever since we've owned the car, it's irregularly thrown P0304 misfire codes (perhaps once every 2-3 months), and it's typically when the car is under load and being lugged (manual transmission), or coasting down hill after a mountain pass. Also, very rarely, it'll throw a P0420 Catalytic converter code. The car also began to idle slightly rough on cold startup, but runs smoothly once warm or if you "blip" the throttle on startup, thereby reducing RPM (and leaning out fuel/air mixture??). A month ago, I replaced all of the spark plugs. I found oil on TOP of plugs 1 and 3, but the tips were all on the whiter side of tan.

All of these symptoms were leading me down a path that made me believe I had a bad O2 sensor (or both sensors), or a bad catalytic converter, which was causing such intermittent codes.

The Question: Finally, to my reason for posting. I recently broke my leg, so I'm not doing any car maintenance for a while. I wanted to take care of the car's timing belt (and all that goes with it), since I don't know when was the last time it was changed. I took the car to a reputable Subaru shop, who many people with high horsepower STI's trust....seems like the right guys to work on our Outback's engine. I asked them to diagnose the rough idle and codes to see if they could make any headway on what was the cause. They couldn't replicate the issue (like I said, the car runs great), and suggested a compression/leak down test to verify the engine's health. The results below:

Compression PSI: 1 - 195, 2 - 215, 3 - 195, 4 - 225
Leak Down Percentages: 1 - 35, 2 - 40, 3 - 33, 4 - 23

These numbers are crazy. They suggested a new top end, and I suggested a completely new short block and top end....

The more I think about it though, the more I begin to question the test. The car runs smoothly and still gets nearly 28MPG average. Wouldn't numbers like that mean it would barely run? Is there a decent likelihood they botched the test?

Your help is greatly appreciated! I'd rather not drop $6500 on a new motor if I don't need one. But I also don't want to put $1000 towards a timing belt job on a motor that's about to grenade itself.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
dunno if I can help with every point but, oil on the boots or insulator could easily cause a misfire. leaking valve cover gaskets?

what condition are the plug WIRES? they and the coil might cause issues on cool/wet mornings. best to use only OEM wires. - they are similar length, swap them and see if misfiring follows?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wires are in decent shape. I also swapped coils and the misfire did NOT follow. I definitely know the valve cover/shock boots are leaking, which I was planning on having the shop repair while they had the car. I figured that with the valve covers good again, and potentially a replaced O2 (upstream or down, once I find the culprit) replaced, I might be in good shape to eliminate the misfire.

This is where I was leaning in my own diagnostic until the shop gave me those leak down test results...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real-time update: my wife had to take the car to Colorado for work...

So far, she's driven for 8.5 hours, 75-80mph, 29MPG, 106-degree heat, AC blasting....no codes, car's running strong. This is why I feel like I should doubt the shop's test, despite their stellar reputation in the SoCal Subie community.

I'm no mechanic though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong to disbelieve.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Real-time update: my wife had to take the car to Colorado for work...

So far, she's driven for 8.5 hours, 75-80mph, 29MPG, 106-degree heat, AC blasting....no codes, car's running strong. This is why I feel like I should doubt the shop's test, despite their stellar reputation in the SoCal Subie community.

I'm no mechanic though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong to disbelieve.
what outlaw subaru shop is that,...there is a law against outbacks in southern cal.

maybe its a stupid honda shop,...that stole a subaru sign.

Reactions: semperfidher
1 - 5 of 5 Posts