Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a P0303 cyl 3 misfire code. I believe my coil is bad. Is getting an MSD inform coil going to improve performance? Worth the money? If not, will an Echlin from Napa be sufficient, or do I need to go OEM? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
swap that coil with a different cyl. position.

look for oil on the plug boot.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
swapping the plug wires around is a good free start. how old are the plugs and wires.?

what are they? subaru likes NGK products, and the regular plugs that came in this car are just plain coppers that last only 30,000 miles. (I have NGK double platinum in mine as they are so small with this engine they are still really cheap for 4).

if you actually need a coil: aftermarkets are typically problematic junk, might work for a few weeks and then give multiple misfires.

Napa "may" make a good one (I don't know which of their offerings is good though),...but buying OEM for slightly more money, gives you one known to definitely work.

this is one of the few things I would be willing to get used at a pick and pull. as the OEM coils last so long. picked for $20 used, so long as it says "subaru" stamped on the front.
(subaru used the same one over many cars / many years, so just look up the stock # and see what else it goes on).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Napa "may" make a good one (I don't know which of their offerings is good though),...but buying OEM for slightly more money, gives you one known to definitely work.
Since when does any one make better better ignition products Echlin? Likely when they were bought by DANA and things have continued to go down hill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plugs and wires are ~20,000 miles. NGK plugs, but I used import direct on the wires because that was all there was in town & I needed to get it done. Might start with some Subaru wires and go from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
oh, 4 cyl?

yeah, wires not COP. sorry.

because of waste-spark set-up, a bad coil on the 4 cyl. will usually mean a pair of cylinders will misfire.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
Plugs and wires are ~20,000 miles. NGK plugs, but I used import direct on the wires because that was all there was in town & I needed to get it done. Might start with some Subaru wires and go from there. Thanks!

RockAuto and Amazon sell NGK wires. and you can compare that to whatever subaru is selling. (amazon has real subaru dealers too).

over-the -counter without checking online for price comparisons, can really cost bucks on simple things like ignition products,

·
Registered
2001 Outback 5 speed, 2000 Outback Automatic, 2002 Legacy Wagon Automatic. All 2.5L
269 Posts
oh, 4 cyl?

yeah, wires not COP. sorry.

because of waste-spark set-up, a bad coil on the 4 cyl. will usually mean a pair of cylinders will misfire.
This.
My money is on the wire, then the plug.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Grab a spray bottle, fill with water, and (at night), mist the coil and coil wires. You will see faint blue/purple arcs while the car is running if there are any voltage leaking. Pay careful attention around the coil terminals. I had a few coils crack on a single cylinder, would arc to the intake.

I would just grab another used OE for pretty cheap. I wouldn't bother with the MSD coil unless you can retune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I switched wires 1&3, and I now have misfire codes on both. If it is the coil, wouldn't it be one odd & one even? At least it appears that it would work that way, based on the appearance of the coil pack. I also tried the misting test suggested above, and saw no arcing. Is this the only symptom that could indicate a faulty coil pack?

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
yeah, typical coil failure would yield 1&2 or 3&4 misfires.

not sure what's up with your ignition now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More info: Not sure if this is related or a completely separate issue, but we have started hearing what almost sounds like an air leak upon acceleration. Could be exhaust, but almost sounds too smooth for that. Additionally, when I really get on it, it whistles, almost like a turbo whine (no turbo). Could a plugged Cat be causing any/all of these issues?

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
exhaust leaks can cause P0420

also, you can get a whooshing sound if the lower part of the intake filter box isn't positioned in the slots or if the slots are broken, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts