Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2005 XT LTD OBW 5EAT & Cypress Green Pearl 2011 2.5i MT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 05 turbo outback with high mileage (235000), and I recently got a po302 misfire cylinder 2 code. I took the coil pack off, and it looked ok, no rust, the fins were not separating, etc. Went to take plug out and had a tough time getting it out. Got plug all the way loosened, but I couldn't remove it. Got frustrated and just tried screw it back in, but when I started to tighten plug I got maybe two turns into it and I heard a crunching sound. I stopped and haven't restarted the car because I'm afraid something may have dropped or could drop into the cylinder. How should I proceed? Maybe vacuum it out and try to remove it again? Any danger in removing it that I might push some of those fragments where they shouldn't go? Thanks in advance.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts
do NOT start the car.

have it flat bedded to a shop,...(one that likes subarus,)

they may have to open that side of the engine to get the plug / pieces out.

(just had a guy on here from long island NY, and he wound up with a JDM EZ30R engine for his car due to a broken plug snafu and a start with a chunk of the plug inside the cylinder...not all his fault, his brother was "helping" ).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm not sure that the plug is in fact actually broken, but I "did" hear a crunching/grinding sound. If I had a strong enough flexible magnet (ideas where I can get one/make one?), couldn't I just pull it out, the remnants, and see where I am? I just don't understand how it could break if I had it unthreaded, tried to screw it back in two turns, and then it broke? Just seems unlikely, but I know what I heard. Frustrated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,208 Posts
Well, I'm not sure that the plug is in fact actually broken, but I "did" hear a crunching/grinding sound. If I had a strong enough flexible magnet (ideas where I can get one/make one?), couldn't I just pull it out, the remnants, and see where I am? I just don't understand how it could break if I had it unthreaded, tried to screw it back in two turns, and it then it broke? Just seems unlikely, but I know what I heard. Frustrated.
here is that thread, your answer maybe in it:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/437505-changing-spark-plugs-jdm-ez30r.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the difference between where I am and where the OP from that thread was: I haven't started my car yet, and I don't plan on it until I can see what the plug looks like. If I can get a strong magnet on something flexible, and the plug is unthreaded, shouldn't I be able to pull it out?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5 N/A
66 Posts
I'd try to carefully back the plug out. If it breaks off you can try to use a spiral flute extractor to get the rest of it out. If you have access to an air compressor you can blow pieces out of the cylinder that way. I'd be tempted to pull the engine to get better access to use the extractors and re-thread if necessary. Also if you pull the engine you could slant the engine downwards so that pieces fall away from the engine

Go on youtube and watch some broken spark plug videos.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I got the plug out. I was right; it is cracked, but not in pieces, so I am good there. However, I am back to square 1 on the po302. The plug looks fine, ashy with no oil visible. I've attached a pic of the plug coil. Is that tiny separation of that one fin a problem? I can get another one on ebay fairly cheap, I know. I guess the right thing to do would be swap coils and see if the code follows. Funny thing though, my car idles fine, isn't running that rough, but it does have a surging once it goes beyond 2500 rpms. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Yeah, that coil looks like crap, 99% it's bad, but do the swap anyway. Be sure.
No point in speculating on the various symptoms till the known problem is fixed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,208 Posts
moved thread to gen3 land where all XT problems live.

and updated thread title. as the plug,...is out.:smile2:

(if you put XT in the thread title under the gen3 section....you draw in the XT people to read it.).

_____

sometimes a misfire on problem coil pack the physical locking mechanism is not clicking into place as it should,
...a fix is a wire tie/ bread / bailing wire tie. and some turbo and H6 cars just drive around forever like that, ...as the coil pack is still functional,.

..not saying yours is that good....but maybe if it does not "click" into place like the others.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eagleeye, thanks for that - hopefully I'll get other XT owners to chime in on this. It's been going on for some time and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,208 Posts
Eagleeye, thanks for that - hopefully I'll get other XT owners to chime in on this. It's been going on for some time and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
Mr. turbo:
@traildogck might be able to see something in that pic.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I'd swap the coil before replacing it. I agree it isn't perfect, but I would not 100% call it bad. However, If you want to eliminate the coils as a potential problem, it's not going to hurt.

Neither is logging data, checking for vacuum leaks, or checking fuel pressure. This car has a lot of miles. I'd be very surprised if the intake system is tight.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,208 Posts
I'd swap the coil before replacing it. I agree it isn't perfect, but I would not 100% call it bad. However, If you want to eliminate the coils as a potential problem, it's not going to hurt.

Neither is logging data, checking for vacuum leaks, or checking fuel pressure. This car has a lot of miles. I'd be very surprised if the intake system is tight.
OP typed this
" Funny thing though, my car idles fine, isn't running that rough, but it does have a surging once it goes beyond 2500 rpms. Thoughts?"

is that a vacuum leak,....or the engine trying to correct for the minor misfire,.

...or just the turbo acting like ....a trouble or good turbo?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's funny you guys mention a vacuum leak - I just got it back from the shop and the mechanic said he couldn't find any. The reason WHY I was having him look is different than you might think: not for the po302. Previously I had the same shop install a PCV for me, as well as a new hose (don't know what it's called) that connects the turbo to the air intake. Well, when I got it back from the shop, it wasn't a day later, and I started getting a hissing noise upon acceleration, starting at about 2500 rpms, or anytime I pushed "hard" on the pedal to pass or whatever. Took it back - they couldn't find any leak and suggested that I take it to a shop that could see if I possibly had an exhaust leak of some sort. So . . . I find it very odd that I never had this problem before and all of a sudden after a hose and PCV replacement, there's this sound. Anyhoo, I had the surging thing going on before the PCV replacement or hose replacement or hissing noise, for some time now actually. In the meantime, I've put a new plug in and I'm ordering a new coil. Btw, the hissing sound SEEMS to be coming from the driver's side, not the side where the hose was replaced. Oh yeah, glancing at the new PCV, I don't see a new clamp down there where it meets the engine (don't think they put a new one on). Is it possible that the noise is coming from there?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Well, the PCV valve should have a clamp, but the noise you're describing sounds like the IC-TB hose, BPV, or other IC-related leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts