Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an entry level mechanic and trying to help a friend with their Subaru. So they had cylinder misfires on 2, 4, and 6. I just replaced their crankshaft pulley because of a wobble and the pulley was staring to dig into the timing cover (Saw metal flakes coming from pulley when I gassed it).I was hoping that the balancer may be causing the issue but it was bad anyway so I started with replacing it. Also whenever I snap the throttle shut the car bogs down and in most cases dies. Anytime the foot comes off the gas pedal. Also when I snapped the throttle shut it sounded like a poping noise coming from the air filter... almost like when the valves are bent or otherwise not shutting all the way on the compression stroke causing a little positive pressure. I was thinking maybe timing chain jumped a tooth but then why is it not effecting the other side as well? Was also thinking VVT but forgot to look if this engine was equipped with VVT or not. Any ideas on a path for diagnosis?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
these early 212hp series of the EZ30D has some rudimentary "variable intake geometry" to adjust things based on what gas you are putting in.

but not smart stuff like the later EZ30 245hp spec 2005-2009 (on here typically called EZ30R).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
miles?

I THINK some early H6s had problems with chain guides. I read also of one engine that slipped a tooth on a cam gear so, that could explain the bank-specific failure.

But first, I encourage you to triple check and clean/refresh all ground connections. There are several at the pitch stop mount on the firewall, and on 'bosses' on the intake mani and, well, everywhere you can find them. wire-brush the body, each side of the ring lugs and even the screw.

others here have more experience, maybe they can guide you.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
^^^ yep - I'm very poor at remembering where and when I read something so, thanx for the post.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
^^^ yep - I'm very poor at remembering where and when I read something so, thanx for the post.
Gort admits he needs a firmware update.

but no one to write it,...so have to maintain,...and keep on keeping on.

I am thinking up transferring the bulk of thoughts to talking rings,...before I forget.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Gort admits he needs a firmware update.

but no one to write it,...so have to maintain,...and keep on keeping on.

I am thinking up transferring the bulk of thoughts to talking rings,...before I forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRMYUpgyJ8

trivia; animator Walter Lance helped animator/director George Pal immigrate to the US. Supposedly, Pal placed a Woody Woodpecker doll in each of his movies as an homage to Lance. The easiest one to spot is in The Time Machine. A little girl running down some steps drops a WW doll.

I can remember that, just not important stuff.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
trivia; animator Walter Lance helped animator/director George Pal immigrate to the US. Supposedly, Pal placed a Woody Woodpecker doll in each of his movies as an homage to Lance. The easiest one to spot is in The Time Machine. A little girl running down some steps drops a WW doll.

I can remember that, just not important stuff.
important stuff is subjective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
miles?

I THINK some early H6s had problems with chain guides. I read also of one engine that slipped a tooth on a cam gear so, that could explain the bank-specific failure.

But first, I encourage you to triple check and clean/refresh all ground connections. There are several at the pitch stop mount on the firewall, and on 'bosses' on the intake mani and, well, everywhere you can find them. wire-brush the body, each side of the ring lugs and even the screw.

others here have more experience, maybe they can guide you.
I believe abouts 240k on the milage or close to it. Is there anyway to tell other then pulling the 46 bolts holding the timing cover on? Why oh why did they go chain? Lol

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
I believe abouts 240k on the milage or close to it. Is there anyway to tell other then pulling the 46 bolts holding the timing cover on? Why oh why did they go chain? Lol
I think there is about 100 bolts,

on some of these cars they seem to tap around 180,000 and need some servicing on the chains.

but of course this is superior to the sad cars out there with blown timing belts as mechanics were not smart enough to change out whole timing kits.
craigslist is full of timing belt subarus with such tales as this: https://catskills.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-subaru-forester/6310201065.html

this person has the EZ30D on the bench for the camera, but you can do it in the car ...if this is where the diagnosis is going.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
at that mileage, the exhaust valves might be streteched and need lash adjustment.

I'd be tempted to check JDM, car-part.com and LKQ for a n engine . Do a swap. Might find an engine with 1/3 the miles of the one you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think there is about 100 bolts,

on some of these cars they seem to tap around 180,000 and need some servicing on the chains.

but of course this is superior to the sad cars out there with blown timing belts as mechanics were not smart enough to change out whole timing kits.
craigslist is full of timing belt subarus with such tales as this: https://catskills.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-subaru-forester/6310201065.html

this person has the EZ30D on the bench for the camera, but you can do it in the car ...if this is where the diagnosis is going.

/url]
I did 2 full suburu timing belts in school. Full on with water pump and all. Had to take my timing chain apart when I did my saabs head gasket. I have skills and aint afraid of doing the hard repairs. Just new to this stuff fresh outta college. Would you happen to know if this is an interference engine or not? One of the timing belts I did in school was because one of the belts shreaded and got pulled into the timing cover. This made the car jump timing and after doing the job we found the valves to be bent and the similar popping/puffing noise from the air box but alot more.

What I am thinking is that the intake and/or the exhaust cam(s) may have jumped a tooth. I include exhaust cam because I am not sure if it was 1 or both cams off. What I was wondering is if the hermonic balancer starting to seperate... and hitting the timing cover... could that cause the chain to jump a tooth?

Also hearing a different high pitched sound. Not like chain hitting nut more like chain rubbing.

at that mileage, the exhaust valves might be streteched and need lash adjustment.

I'd be tempted to check JDM, car-part.com and LKQ for a n engine . Do a swap. Might find an engine with 1/3 the miles of the one you have.
In this case I think the intake valves are more in question then the exhaust. As I decel I hear popping or.... puffing from the air box. Probally due to the intake valves partially open during the compression stroke. They Pretty much wanna get it running again to sell it.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
if one bank shows lower compression than the other - that is gonna be slipped cam timing, like in plainOM's link

yes, interference.

given your experience, if you friend has otherwise taken good care of the car and it is 'worthy' of the work, you can find some threads of folks digging into the front of the engine. I mentioned the exhaust valve lash mostly as an 'in addition to' thing to check.

but, if the engine has had poor maintenance and been overheated - well, it would be a disappointment to go thru it, then develop a rod knock 7 weeks down the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if one bank shows lower compression than the other - that is gonna be slipped cam timing, like in plainOM's link

yes, interference.

given your experience, if you friend has otherwise taken good care of the car and it is 'worthy' of the work, you can find some threads of folks digging into the front of the engine. I mentioned the exhaust valve lash mostly as an 'in addition to' thing to check.

but, if the engine has had poor maintenance and been overheated - well, it would be a disappointment to go thru it, then develop a rod knock 7 weeks down the road.
Not much is is known on the history of this car. They bought it about 6 months ago. Whereas your probably right on exhaust valves being an issue, its not the issue I am hearing. Sounded like air going the wrong way threw the air duct. Also I didnt go to the tail pipe either.

If it happens to be slipped cam timing, what are the chances of internal engine damage? And how does something like this happen? I dont want to tell them Timing chain and turn out needing an engine. Also did you watch my video? There is a noise that I cant tell if its metel on metel or just a strange sounding vacuum leak.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
I might not be keying in to what you hear.

One minor thing to look for would be the air filter box itself. Easy to miss the tabs at the bottom or they are broken. can make a whoosh noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts