Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the dealer was not quite honest with me on the service history of my LL bean, purchased from the dealer with 55k on it.

It is missing 2 bellhousing bolts, and the torque converter bolt access plug on top of the engine.

There was certainly nothing in the service history indicating the trans was ever out, or disconnected. The car only had 55k on it when I bought it.

The 2 missing bolts are 2 of the ones (the only 2?) that are used on the H6, but not on the H4. They are the one right below the starter, and all the way on top of the bellhousing.

Now, I say to myself that these aren't critical, after all I drove 150,000 miles without a problem, but then again, I did have problem with the front pinion bearing (the reason for the trans swap).

I have a hard time believing these 2 missing bolts caused the trans housing to flex enough to stress a bearing, though.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
My XT has a missing nut on my turbo to down pipe. I suspect it was always like that, but maybe it fell off in the 90k miles before I noticed a bolt that was just sitting there.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,458 Posts
Dave, There is a hole at the top of the bell housing, almost center that looks like it needs a bolt, but doesn't have one. Is this one of the bolts you are referring? If so, your just missing the one of the two close fit bolts by the starter.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That bolt position on top, which would take a short one, is shown in the service manual, and that position is 'shiny' on my '04 donor trans.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience is only gen 2 H6s so far, maybe on the donor it was used as a convenient spot to hold some sort of accessory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts