Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked to see if there was a thread out there but, I have found I am missing some features that after so many years of having, I was surprised that my newer outback didn't have them. Our '11 Honda Odyssey was totaled so we got a '17 OB Limited and there are little things like key fob seat presets. I can push the button not a big deal, and then I noticed the side mirrors don't change with the preset, and don't tilt down when backing up. That I really liked. I also realized when my wipers are on, and I put it in reverse, it doesn't automatically activate the rear wiper. The NAV on the van had a dial to zoom in and out, it is more complicated in the OB. Not on here to complain, just noticing little things that I enjoyed in my Honda that I would have thought would be in my Subie.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Each automaker throws in 'gimmics' to make their vehicles seem better than the competition.

With VW, I REALLY liked the fact that I could open all the windows with key (or close all windows including sunroof) I knew Subaru (nor any other automaker) does not offer this feature when I purchased my two Subies. The crappy VW dealership was the one reason I chose to change to another automaker.

If these specific 'features' were important to you, then I would suggest that you lacked due-diligence when you selected the Outback. It would have been trivial for you to check these things BEFORE you made your purchase and decide the lack of them was enough for you to spend your money elsewhere.

In my mind, a vehicle is simply transportation which needs to be reliable, safe, and efficient. Infact, I usually leave the silly video screen turned OFF.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I looked to see if there was a thread out there but, I have found I am missing some features that after so many years of having, I was surprised that my newer outback didn't have them. Our '11 Honda Odyssey was totaled so we got a '17 OB Limited and there are little things like key fob seat presets. I can push the button not a big deal, and then I noticed the side mirrors don't change with the preset, and don't tilt down when backing up. That I really liked. I also realized when my wipers are on, and I put it in reverse, it doesn't automatically activate the rear wiper. The NAV on the van had a dial to zoom in and out, it is more complicated in the OB. Not on here to complain, just noticing little things that I enjoyed in my Honda that I would have thought would be in my Subie.
The 17 limited has power seats with the memory settings. You can set each fob to one of the memory positions. Pages 1-6 and 1-7 in your owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 17 limited has power seats with the memory settings. You can set each fob to one of the memory positions. Pages 1-6 and 1-7 in your owners manual.
Thank you, learning everything, I had't gotten to that part, but I will now.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
426 Posts
If these specific 'features' were important to you, then I would suggest that you lacked due-diligence when you selected the Outback.
Or sometimes we become so accustomed to a feature we forgot that it's there. Once we start driving a different car for a few months we discover new things we like and a few we miss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Each automaker throws in 'gimmics' to make their vehicles seem better than the competition.

With VW, I REALLY liked the fact that I could open all the windows with key (or close all windows including sunroof) I knew Subaru (nor any other automaker) does not offer this feature when I purchased my two Subies. The crappy VW dealership was the one reason I chose to change to another automaker.

If these specific 'features' were important to you, then I would suggest that you lacked due-diligence when you selected the Outback. It would have been trivial for you to check these things BEFORE you made your purchase and decide the lack of them was enough for you to spend your money elsewhere.

In my mind, a vehicle is simply transportation which needs to be reliable, safe, and efficient. Infact, I usually leave the silly video screen turned OFF.
I agree that they all have gimmics, my Honda had the same windows and sunroof opening feature. It's not that they were so important that I would change my decision, I was just commenting that it was interesting that they were not there as some I wouldn't call gimmicky as much as useful. We went from a Odyssey to a Outback 1. because we were forced to because of the accident, (would have driven the Honda till the wheels fell off) 2. kids are gone and interests and lifestyle have tweeked making the Outback the best choice for us now as the primary vehicle.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
682 Posts
I wish Subaru had reverse tilt on their passenger mirror...help with seeing how close to said curb you are.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
225 Posts
off the top of my head:

2000 Caddy STS:
1. the speed-sensitive steering and suspesion was great. The cars had sensors that would scan the road ahead and would adjust the stiffness of the suspension accordingly. It made for a ride and smooth steering.
2. the extreme tilt-wheel: i only remember this from my Caddy's. basically working the tilt-wheel to get in/out of the car.
3. Northstar V8 engine. The V8 power, torque and rumble without the horrible fuel economy. The engine was also a oil burner and the so-called 100k tuneup interval was a total gimmick. lulz.

other stuff I liked:
1. As mentioned above on VW and other German cars: working the windows and sunroof with the key/fob
2. Premium stereos from Bose (GM) and Boston Acoustics (Dodge)
3. Toyota-ish features: (a) the ability to turn off the DRL's (b) economy / sport mode
4. Displacement on demand
5. auto lock / unlocking doors

*I'm not saying any of these so-called features would be practical on a Subaru Outback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts