Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month into ownership of our 2013 Limited, I've noticed a few functions that most cars have that the Outback seems to lack. It's curious because I believe every car I've bought since 2000 has had this function, and I'm wondering if there's a hack to enable them, or why Subaru chose not to include them (these would be very low expense additions)

1. Headlights remain on for a delay when engine is shut off. This is really invaluable in a dark setting.

2. Headlights/reverse lights turn on when doors are unlocked with remote. I know this can be remedied with puddle lights, which I plan to add.

3. Auto door lock/unlock when vehicle is driving. Not sure why I like this function, because I didn't in the first car that had it, but now I'm very used to it, and like the security that it offers.

Does anyone know a hack or an aftermarket solution that solves these problems?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only missing function I wish I had would be auto windows for every window. Why is this so hard?! I love the extended sunvisors that my 08 Forester didn't have though.

Let Subaru know what you want, it might not help this vehicle, but in the future...

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is my first ever Subaru and I can only think of 3 things that would make in my opinion a perfect car.

1.. Being able to roll up the windows after the key has been turned off

2.. Being able to open the door without having to unlock it first.

3.. Temp gauge instead of that useless econ gauge <--- that has to be the dumbest gimmick I have ever seen, has the american public become so stupid that we don't know if you step on the gas peddle or go up a hill you get worse mileage and if you let up or go down a hill you get better without having a gauge to confirm it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cobalt,

Good call on #3, absolutely worthless, there is a real-time gauge available on the dash already!

Ugh, we live in the age of Prius...

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
2. Headlights/reverse lights turn on when doors are unlocked with remote. I know this can be remedied with puddle lights, which I plan to add.
I always thought it was dangerous to have the reverse lights come on in any situation other than actually reversing the car. Confusing in crowded parking lots, at least.

Somebody did work out retained accessory power for earlier versions of the outback. You could have certain lights & power windows function for a bit after the key was pulled. I don't think the device was ever updated for the 4th gen cars but maybe poke around on legacygt.com.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cobalt,

Good call on #3, absolutely worthless, there is a real-time gauge available on the dash already!

Ugh, we live in the age of Prius...
I appreciate the eco gauge and look at it regularly. It is much easier to glance at that to see how certain pressures on the gas pedal affect mpg, than to look at the instant constantly fluctuating digital readout. That said, however, I don't see why we can't have a temp gauge also, not instead of. Plenty of room on the dash for multiple gauges. How about a gauge to monitor the battery as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What temperature gauge is that? Looking at mine, I have an engine temp in the lower left and the outside temp shows up in the upper center console display in the dash.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The 2013's have the econ gauge in the information display panel now instead of a "temp gauge" type display.

So on the center panel display I see the econ and in the lower left, engine temp.

BMW's have had this since they were building airplanes only.

Things I'd like to see?

300HP twin-scroll turbo diesel as an engine option. Bonus points if they can make it work in a boxer format!

Enable cruise control in "M" shift mode. Disable eyesight if necessary.

Full on manual mode for "M" mode. You don't down shift when slowing down? The car shouldn't either and the engine should buck and/or stall if you don't take care of business.

4 channel TPMS with full data - tire pressure/battery condition. We've got a nice big honkin' display. Why can't they, you know, display stuff?

Integrated remote start remote into the key/keyfob.

Keyless entry/start - I'm less bullish on this option since the BMW fiasco. If Subaru can keep the theft thing from happening, then, okay.

Memory seats in all makes.

Variable seat heat. Not high and low. Give me 1-5 on a knob or something.

Accessory on until a door is open. To allow moonroof to close, windows to roll up after the key is out, but no door is opened.

Right mirror moves to a different setting when car is in Reverse and that can be programmed into the memory.

Auto locking doors.

Active seat cooling.

Automagic windshield wipers.

HID head lights and fogs.

All LED lighting (tail lights, interior lights, turn signal lights)

All windows auto up/down.

Side mirror turn signal lights.

Heated washer nozzles.

Controllable mirror heat (My VW, if you put the mirror selector in the middle would turn on heat)

Increase the functionality of the voice command system. I'd like to say "play american woman" and the system would find the mp3 and play it. Or maybe build a play list from voice.

I am very happy that I figured out how to make my NAV auto-set its day and night color schemes so I'm not blinded at night by a white "ground".

With all that missing, I'd buy a new Outback tomorrow if mine were to go *poof* in the dark.

·
Registered
63 Posts
100% agree on the reverse lights coming on when the doors unlock being a BAD idea. GM vehicles all do this and, quite frankly, the guy who came up with this should be shot. I see cars stop and wait in parking lots when they see the reverse lights come on even though there's no one in the car. It causes tons of confusion. Frankly, I don't see the purpose in the reverse lights coming on when you unlock the doors. I mean, if you need them to keep from walking into your own car at night, you probably shouldn't be driving. Sorry for the rant, but this is the single BIGGEST annoying feature on any car I've ever seen. Leave it to GM to come with that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is my first ever Subaru and I can only think of 3 things that would make in my opinion a perfect car.

1.. Being able to roll up the windows after the key has been turned off

2.. Being able to open the door without having to unlock it first.

3.. Temp gauge instead of that useless econ gauge <--- that has to be the dumbest gimmick I have ever seen, has the american public become so stupid that we don't know if you step on the gas peddle or go up a hill you get worse mileage and if you let up or go down a hill you get better without having a gauge to confirm it.
Yes they have.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
^ you have SAP.. it comes with a guage. In other trims there is a sensless sweep needle that tells you you are pressing the gas harder than you should. Some use it, as prulex pointed out.

But a modern digital temp guage is no more useful than the lights currently available. Modern guages simply tell you when it's warming up (blue light) when it reaches operating temperature (no light) and if it's starting to overheat (yellow light). I have seen charts that show that many digital guages stays in the same position for a large range of temps, so it really doesn't give you much true feedback.

to the OP

1.) Courtesy lights I've had, they were ok, but I was more annoyed by people telling me my lights were left on all the time.

2.) I'm with rasterman on this one, confusing at the least.

3.) there are threads on this subject alone. I, for one, don't want them, however I think it could be an option the consumer could activate.

Auto-up/down on all windows would be great. As would self opening doors, but then again without autolock, it's not such a problem.

Retained power. ABSOLUTELY!!! This is one option I would LOVE to see. Let me roll my windows up and close my sunroof when I shut the car off.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
When parking the car in something like a parking garage, how much space is in front of the car before it hits the wall. Admittedly, more a nice-to-have. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
With my Accord you could hold down the unlock on remote and all the windows would go down. Was a nice feature on hot summer days.

I'd also vote for all power up and down windows as well as being able to put up until door is opened.

I wish we had more options on the info screen. Unless I'm doing it wrong I only have a trip timer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
missed options

The one thing my wife misses that we had on our Tahoe is the automatic open and cose feature on the rear gate. Not sure if it is an option but isn't on our 2012 Limited.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
35 Participants
RobMunach
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing