Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed the Curt 13390 hitch on my 2011 3.6 Outback. In order to install the hitch I had to lower the exhaust, removing two rubber hangers on each of the two mufflers, and one further up the exhaust, mid body. With the hitch installed, i was unable to get one of the two hangers reinstalled on the driver side muffler...so four of the five are back in place. With the hitch installed I just couldn't get my hands in there to get that last hanger on.

Should I worry about this? I was thinking of taking the car to a muffler shop to see if they could help me out (I'd love to get the car back to exactly where it was pre-install), but I don't want to invest the time and perhaps money (if they can do it, it would be a five minute job) to put a hanger back on that isn't necessary. I should add that the muffler seems stable with just the one hanger...but of course that's sitting in the driveway, not hitting a big bump at 70 mph.

Any thoughts? First time I've done something like this. Thanks!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
You should get the last hanger on. It is definitely there for a reson. The 2 muffler hangers on each side tension the muffler (and the whole system) to stay centered. You will start fatiguing gasket joints at a minimum if you run without it.

Nice work with the hitch tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...makes sense. Will hit the muffler shop this week.

Definitely took me longer than I had hoped to get the hitch installed, but all in all I enjoyed spending my Sunday afternoon under the car. Having a second Outback jack handy was a huge help in getting the hitch up into place and bolted on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts