Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2006 subaru outback 2.5I wagon xcellent condition only 62k on it, and very clean question is behind center console something is missing, i think it's an ash tray. dealer could not find it. can someone help me out as to how to get another, and is it an ashtray or a storage compartment..new to this forum..thank you all

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Are you saying the entire back piece is missing or just a panel blank above the cupholder has you asking?
There is definitely a standard rear piece that contains the flip out double cupholder. above it is a compartment for a flip out ashtray in foreign markets, although I have never seen one in a North American Outback. In my case - a 2006 XT - the hole is covered with a snap-on blank and there is nothing more under it than the support moldings that the ashtray assembly would be mounted to.

All parts diagrams I've seen show an ashtray but again, never seen one in a NA 2005-09 Legacy or Outback.

When I installed the JDM upper console armrest box I moved the seat heater switch to the rear hole where the alleged ashtray would go and ordered the entry level coin holder cup for the front. Installing the seat heater switch only involved some judicious trimming and releasing the ziptie bundling the seat heater wiring harness to reach to the new position.
I found I was continually activating the seat heaters in the front position from my hand resting on them so this solved many ergonomic problems. Now I just reach behind the console to flip the dial wheels on the seat heater.

So, if you are looking at a big open hole back there, the dealer should be responsible for getting you the blank gratis. If the blank is in place then all is normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
missing piece

From the diagram you show i believe the piece i need is # 22 cup holder.
is there any way of getting one because the dealer does not know what happened to it..thank you so much for your reply...Jack

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
missing piece

Thank you again for your reply and work, i'd say your right about number 12, the only thing is that there isn't an ash tray above it. does this mean anything...

thanks again....Jack

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Is the dealer you purchased from a Subaru Dealer?
If so the onus is on them to replace a missing-under-their-watch standard part, particularly as it sounds like they have already admitted culpability.
If the car is really that clean then there is no good reason it would be missing - I suspect the console was detached in order to adjust the parking brake cable and the mech neglected to put the cupholder back on or tore it off the screw mount posts in removing the console incorrectly. Probably on his bench (unless he stepped on it and tried to cover his ass)

If they still insist on charging you $90 + labor to install a new one, take a walk to your nearest wrecking yard and make inquiries. Easy enough to install yourself, as it is screwed to the back panel that clips on. The single screw under the blank panel secures the panel to the main console.

If you bought the car off a non-Subaru lot or privately then I guess you're on your own - again, check the wrecking yards and mine the part-out want ads here and at Legacy.org.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
missing piece

Yes i did purchase it from an authorized Subaru dealer here in upstate ny (curry Subaru) I've just emailed the sales person and told them to get it. let's see what happens. if i get a hard time, then i email Subaru corp. direct and tell them..thank you again for your advice, and time..Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
outback06
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing