Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, our infant daughter and I leave tomorrow evening on a trip to her parents' house in South Carolina.

Duluth to Minneapolis tomorrow 3/30
Minneapolis to St. Louis Saturday 3/31
St. Louis to as far as we can make it, hopefully well into South Carolina, Sunday 4/1
Then the final leg to their place near Myrtle Beach, SC Monday 4/2

Return trip starts Thursday 4/5, hoping to get close to Bowling Green, KY
to St. Louis Friday 4/6
St. Louis to Minneapolis 4/7
Minneapolis to Duluth 4/8

All in our '04 Outback VDC. I've tried to do any preventative maintenance I can think of, and have packed some tools, and spare parts. While it's never really given us any trouble, it's still a long drive in a somewhat old car, with an infant....So, if you're along this route, and would be willing to help me out if I have trouble, reply here, private message me, or even just watch this thread. If I'm having trouble, I'll post.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
474 Posts
We'll be in N. Myrtle Beach in a couple of months , enjoyable place.

Relax and enjoy the adventure ,their are Subaru Dealerships along the way.

Keep us updated on your progress.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Up until about a year ago, Kaylee still went from TN to WI as needed.

Mal's done the trip too. Long as it's been serviced as needed, y'all should be fine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, trip has been going well, so haven't been online much.

Trip down went pretty well, our daughter slept through most of the drive, so we were able to make pretty good time. Of course, this meant she was all rested up, and wouldn't go to sleep at our overnight stops. We got a hotel in Knoxville on the way down, in hopes to get an early start, and drive the Dragon instead of the freeway. But we didn't get much sleep, and therefore didn't get on the road until about 10am. So I called off the Dragon, but I-40 on the other side of Smoky Mountains NP was a pretty cool drive.

Somewhere in the middle of South Carolina I developed exhaust leaks. The road didn't seem rough, but nonetheless, the LH flex section on my OBX header began to tear. I wrapped some muffler tape around the flex pipe to quiet it down for the return trip. While I was idling the car to cure the muffler tape, I realized that the weld behind the resonator has broken, and it's leaking there.

We're going to leave in the morning, might go through Atlanta to Chattanooga tomorrow night. Hoping to avoid some of the mountainous terrain. I hope Atlanta traffic doesn't bite us.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
not that i could help but i have spare parts i could overnight you in an emergency.

i lived in atlanta 9 years. avoid the standard 7-10am and 3-7pm at all costs and watch your favorite map/traffic app. be advised of atlanta peach pass lanes which are the HOV lanes you can ride in but then transition to pay-as-you-go lanes requiring a peach pass.

i've done countless 1,000+ mile road trips with an infant or few. never a break down in 270,000 miles on our 2002 VDC H6. new serpentine bearings and a spare fuel pump cap with good tabs on it in the glove compartment and you're golden. i also did new OEM alternator and starter brushes, probably should do the fuel pump at this point.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,069 Posts
Take the scenic route! There are several routes you can take from I-85 across to I-75. Is there a reason you are going to Atlanta when you are heading North from SC?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nearly done! We're at my parents' house in Minneapolis, just a couple hour drive today to get home. We're going to wait until the normal nap time to try to get her back on a normal schedule.

I'm going to gather some information and pictures, and I'll give a more detailed trip report.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts