Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted a review of my 07's off road capability. This last weekend I was in Moab, Utah for the Easter Jeep Safari. Now showing up for the Jeep Safari in an Outback is kind of like going to the Sturgis bike rally on a moped. You could do it, but something wouldn't be right. :19: So I was in my Jeep, but the comfort of the Outback wasn't far from my mind. After a great day of doing the more hardcore stuff I decided to take in the scenery and try some trails that could be done in an Outback. Remember YMMV, I'm an idiot and you're not, weather, trails, and conditions change, but what follows is a little drive that I would take my Outback on.

Start out by turning west off of 191 onto the Gemini Bridges and Gold Bar rim trails. You will climb from the valley floor to the top of the plateu and be treated to some beautiful views of the valley. Follow the trail markings to Gemini Bridges. There are a couple of places to take a small walk to see the arches.

My favorite is when you can walk right across the top of the arch. Its a couple hundred feet down and if edges make you nervous you can stand back as far as you need to still feel comfortable. After the bridges continue on the trail to hwy 313.

When you reach the paved 313 turn left and drive to Dead Horse point. About a mile after you turn east on to the Dead Horse point road you will see a dirt road on the left that appears to drive straight over the edge of the earth. Make note of it because you are coming back there after you see Dead Horse point. For now drive on and be amazed at the view from the point. (When you are at the point look down for the road at the bottom of the cliff. Its called the Shafer trail and might be doable in an Outback. I haven't driven it with that in mind so you're on your own for now) After you're done at Dead Horse point drive back to the dirt road mentioned above, that is the start of Long Canyon trail.

Long Canyon will take you from the top of the plateau back to the Colorado river. You will get an awesome view of Arches National park and along the way you'll get to drive under this little rock. :13:

Continue down the canyon and enjoy some of the best scenery anywhere in the world.

When you get to hwy 279 turn right to try the Shafer trail or turn left to return to town. Going back to town you will pass a number of Indian rock art panels and the famous Wall Street. Its the place where Mission Impossible II staring Tom Cruise begins. Typically there are dozens of rock climbers doing their sport right at the edge of the road.

That's it. Depending on how much time you spend hiking and sight seeing the trip could take a couple of hours or all day. Also by doing these trails you'll see far more than the average tourist will ever see by staying on the paved roads.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2007 OBW, 2.5i, silver
265 Posts
We did Gemini Bridges and Long Canyon back in 2008. The report should be on here somewhere. Not much of a challenge beyond a few steep sections. With the experience gained since then, I'd say there are a lot of easy to medium rated trails out there that would be doable in a stock OBW :4: I'd love to go back and do some more. In the Subie off course! Hmm, maybe a Subaru outing is over due for the club :12:

Burnouts and wheelies are a lot of fun even on mopeds :18:

·
Registered
2007 OBW, 2.5i, silver
265 Posts
Not to hijack, but these are more appropriate for so.org ;)

It's a beautiful area and it's worth a while no matter what you use to get around it. Definitelly a plus if you can use your prefered method though ;)

To add to my previous reply, we were there during the EJS and got some funny looks while on trails (but a bunch of thumbs up as well!). It was awesome! :18:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent pictures!

As you can see I have shamelessly copied one of them to my post :22:

·
Registered
2007 OBW, 2.5i, silver
265 Posts

·
Registered
05 manual XTL stage 2 with post facelift JDM front end
348 Posts
Awesome. Just awesome. We went to Moab sooooo many times but mostly for mountain biking and camping. I have yet to go back to take all these trails with the OB. But no can do anymore (at least for now). Now living in ........ Norway at nearly 70 degree N lat!
Oh, and did I mention I brought my OBXT from Utah to my new location? :17:
Anyway, beautiful pictures and thumbs up to use the OB on these adventures.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Aaaah, I wish I could post some pix. But 's been 2 months we've been here in Norway now without our XT (we've been biking all over). We left the states around 22nd Feb and car finally arrived by cargo ship yesterday in Oslo. But we live like 1000 miles north from Oslo (really really north!). So we will have to wait for maybe another month (or less hopefully) for the shipping company to bring our goods and car to our place. I will definitely take pictures AND celebrate that day. Once we have it, lots of trips on lots of windy roads and around beautiful scenery are in the horizon! :D
note: so far, I am not aware of any people in Norway (even in Europe) that owns a Subaru Outback XT. There must be at least a couple I am sure. But can't find them. They don't make XTs here... :(

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,334 Posts
Man I'd love to go back too. It was such an awesome place, and we didnt really do a lot. We checked out the thrift store as 'souvenirs' and walked a lot. That was about it. And it was STILL the highlight of my entire summer.

·
Registered
06 3.0 Rn lpg
129 Posts
But we live like 1000 miles north from Oslo (really really north!). So we will have to wait for maybe another month (or less hopefully) for the shipping company to bring our goods and car to our place. I will definitely take pictures AND celebrate that day. Once we have it, lots of trips on lots of windy roads and around beautiful scenery are in the horizon! :D
note: so far, I am not aware of any people in Norway (even in Europe) that owns a Subaru Outback XT. There must be at least a couple I am sure. But can't find them. They don't make XTs here... :(
Well I for one look forward to your guide to Outback trails in Northern Norway - and campsites too?. Always fancied a trip to Scandinavia and ferries go from Newcastle, UK.
I'll look out for your new thread with pics in the coming months!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well I for one look forward to your guide to Outback trails in Northern Norway - and campsites too?. Always fancied a trip to Scandinavia and ferries go from Newcastle, UK.
I'll look out for your new thread with pics in the coming months!
Thank you! Once I get the car insured and stuff, we will start discovering the area. And I will definitely create threads, post pictures and stuff. It is indeed beautiful here. Can't wait to go and check out the country!!!!!

@ SubaCool: Here is a picture of the (rear) of the car in our parking lot. Note that the picture was taken around 2AM!!! :gasp: Funny to see my Utah licence plate next to a Norwegian plate.. I don't have nice pix yet cause I need to wash it, wax it, do oil change, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition
322 Posts
Most if not all of Shafer Trail can be done in an ordinary 2WD car, it should be easymode for an Outback.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
Agreed. Shafer Switchbacks and Potash Road are definitely do-able in an Outback.

Pucker Pass and Long Canyon was do-able, but it seemed a little more difficult (and rough) than most of the pictures I had seen of it.

Hidden Canyon posed a problem for me, coming at it from one side, but not the other. Coming at it from the side the reminded me a little bit of a lunar landscape, there was a steep spot that I just couldn't find the right angle on. According to the directions I was using, I was about a 10th of a mile from the steep downhill spot that goes down into the canyon.

I could've maybe gone off-trail and found a way around that spot. But, I knew I could get in the other way. So, I went back and went in from the other side.

·
Registered
2007 OBW, 2.5i, silver
265 Posts
SubaCool: Here is a picture of the (rear) of the car in our parking lot.
Nice!

Darkanion, nice shots! Do you have anymore? Btw, the spot under the rock looks a bit rockier than from when we went there few years back ('08):

More fun, right? :29:

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
Nice!

Darkanion, nice shots! Do you have anymore? Btw, the spot under the rock looks a bit rockier than from when we went there few years back ('08):

More fun, right? :29:
I definitely have more shots! I'll try to get the pictures from Colorado and from Moab posted this weekend. Trying to get caught-up on work has been a little more time-consuming than I had hoped for!

The more I drove around out there, the more I realized there's a big difference between what was rated as "easy" in Colorado vs. what was rated as "easy" in Moab! :eek:

It was interesting and fun. But, "next time," I think I'll rent a Jeep in Moab!

·
Registered
Lifted '95 Legacy & 03 OBS
275 Posts
Very nice!! I agree with what's been said for Moab area trails (those that I know at least), and have more to check out. Seems from the trail uides all easy and probly most if not all moderate would be outbackable trails in the Moab area.

It's pretty fun LIVING in Moab too :29:

(This hijack is in full sopport of your thread Juan!)

I just took my outbacked legacy (OB strut swap) up gemini bridges last week. Nice trail with onse little techy spot.

I think Long canyon down would be fine, up a bit more tricky (a bit easier for an automatic, and for a 2.5 for sure)

Shaffer is fine, I think an outback could do the white rim from mineral bottom to shaffer, but there is one section in particular that would take some spotting and major league line picking... A lifted outback or lifted forester maybe a bit more confidently. When I rode the white rim, I was scoping it out for my legacy (we 4 day-3 night mt. biking), but we rode shafer to mineral bottom...

I've pulled baby lion's back up and down front and back in my wife's old 1.8 IMP (lifted on forester struts), 4EAT, which my 2.2 5MT legacy couldn't climb...
UP
baby lions back frontside on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DOWN
baby lions back backside_drop on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
UPbaby lions back backside_climb on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

95 leggo on 98 OB struts/springs

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have friends in Oregon talking about doing a Moab Suby Safari in 2011!

I can try to put more info here as it comes to me. It would be REALLY fun to do a Suby meet-up here, probly on the tail end of jeep safari would be ok, or inthe fall when weather is unbeatable.

Some of the older, lifted, dual range 4x4 subies would do well on tougher trails and could hang fine during jeep safari, on trails stock rubicons could do...

(I rented a 2" lifted rubicon and drove fins-n-things (a fun bike ride ;) and hells revenge.. FUN stuff, and bearly the tip of what craziness is around here!!!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Holy cow!! I didn't see the highline pic last time i posted here, that's awesome!!! I've got a friend in Tucson (a yogi and part of the yoga slackers) who's doing a bunch of highlines in AZ right now...
I'd love to get the beta on this one and throw that out as another enticement for him to visit me in Mobe again!!
Juan, PM me the beta on this one if you don't mind... I assume this is over by gimini bridges, at the overlook?

Thanks dood!
-mark-

·
Registered
275 Posts
Add Pack Creek trail up to and over La Sal pass to the list!! Don't turn onto 073 half way up the road though!! Still haven't done the Long Canyon stretch, there's that one part just before pucker pass . . .

nice list you're working on here though!

PS, did find those highline anchors, and another short one off to the side of the bridges!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts