Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at amazon dot com right now and the Mobil 1 0w20 advanced fuel economy is 22.88 for 5 qt.. The same stuff but extended performance is 37.28. That is a huge difference anybody know which is better for the price? Or want to offer their favorite brand. Its for a 17 2.5 BTW so synthetic is required.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,112 Posts
If you change oil at 3k, 5k or 7.5k, you are probably ok to use the Advance Fuel Economy product. It probably has the most advantage over other Mobil1 products in cold weather climates during the winter. I personally would not want to have this product in my engine towards the end of a 7.5k interval in the summertime where I live.

If you are a 10k or annual oil changer, I'd stick with the Extended Performance or Annual Protection product.
That's my opinion not based on specific technical data, but following the marketing language of the products. YMMV.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
660 Posts
Looking at amazon dot com right now and the Mobil 1 0w20 advanced fuel economy is 22.88 for 5 qt.. The same stuff but extended performance is 37.28. That is a huge difference anybody know which is better for the price? Or want to offer their favorite brand. Its for a 17 2.5 BTW so synthetic is required.
Good find!

I had checked with AMAZON previously but the price was quite a bit higher than WALMART. I think it's between twenty-five and thirty dollars at WALMART currently. I'll start ordering from AMAZON now.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,041 Posts
It makes no difference which one you use unless your temps dip to -20 or so.

EP is good for 12-15k and AFE is easily a 10k oil. The viscosity at 100C is roughly the same so it's a pick 'em for you with a 6k interval.

I personally would go with AFE since it has a higher level of PAO but it's not a big thing. Either will be GTG. Buy at Wally World.

Reactions: jdog1

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
I just picked up two jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 AFE at Wally World for $22.88 ea today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts