Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new Subaru owners. Looking for other local owners to share information and a good local mechanic. We enjoy mild off-roading. We also do backpacking/hammock camping, etc...so the Outback will be a great replacement for our Yukon XL 4x4 that we have been using. So the small size and MPG will allow us great access to more unimproved roads and camping locations. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
244 Posts
Having owned an XL, the first thing you will miss is the SPACE. The XL storage space will be HUGE compared to the Outback.

The Outback however will definitely be more nimble and agile and should get you in and out of tight spaces better.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am finding that the OB is a fun and stable vehicle.
Having owned an XL, the first thing you will miss is the SPACE. The XL storage space will be HUGE compared to the Outback.

The Outback however will definitely be more nimble and agile and should get you in and out of tight spaces better.

·
Registered
2015 Subie Outback 2.5 Premium, I think.
9 Posts
I've been in deep sand with my Ob that would have gotten me stuck in a bigger vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
399 Posts
Reduce tire pressure and drive almost any vehicle out of sand trap. Virtually all 4wd drive vehicles can be driven out of deep sand. Best to put a lift kit on Subaru. I had additional 3 inches on my 2011. A skid plate is a must. My 2015 with a 2.5 sucks in comparison to the 3.5. When I worked as a surveyor in Nevaa desert, I have been stuck or almost stuck in any way you can imagine. Always managed to recover vehical without professional help in over 60 years of off roading.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium
146 Posts
Reduce tire pressure and drive almost any vehicle out of sand trap. Virtually all 4wd drive vehicles can be driven out of deep sand. Best to put a lift kit on Subaru. I had additional 3 inches on my 2011. A skid plate is a must. My 2015 with a 2.5 sucks in comparison to the 3.5. When I worked as a surveyor in Nevaa desert, I have been stuck or almost stuck in any way you can imagine. Always managed to recover vehical without professional help in over 60 years of off roading.
I would love to learn some tricks from you! Sounds like you are one heck of a driver. I tend to lose patience and dig myself deeper. :25:

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
399 Posts
Sand Trap

I would love to learn some tricks from you! Sounds like you are one heck of a driver. I tend to lose patience and dig myself deeper. :25:
What I have learned about driving in desert sand is from the college of hard Knocks. I dont consider consider my self a excellent driver. If I were there are many place I would not have gone.
Think about using a higher gear in sand = less power to spin and dig.
If you know you are going into sand air down before you get into it. Have battery pump in vehhicle
I like the BF Goodrich all terrain tires

1 - 7 of 7 Posts