Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods and DIYs Organized List

I know there is already a thread for modifications on the Gen 5 Outbacks. The issue is that it is disorganized, it's mostly pages upon pages of LED lights and Plasti-Dip. The more 'unique' mods get lost in the middle of it all. I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread where the first post gets updated as more mods are performed, developed, come about.

*****EDIT: Just noticed if you are using the 'enhanced view' mobile site this post will not show up in its entirety. At least it didn't for me. Switching to the old style or full site works.*****

The original Mods thread is here

Please check that thread regularly as more ideas come up each day.
LED bulb conversions and Plasti-Dip A lot of great information/examples in original mods thread!

Exterior

Plasti-Dip examples
Kolby's Badge Plasti-Dip
Plasti-Dip Grill on Carbide Grey (photoshop)
Plasti-Dip Grill on Venetian Red
Plasti-Dip Grill on Lapis Blue (photoshop)
Plasti-Dip Grill on Ice Silver (photoshop)
Plasti-Dip Grill on Black Bonus: yellow fog picture
Plasti-Dip Grill on White

Lamin-X tail lights Link to post

Lamin-X fog lights Link to post

H11 to H9 low beam bulb retrofit Link to thread by gkirk78

HID Projector Fog Lights Install from Ominx

Forester Chrome tailpipe tip/cover Link to post, Link to post on Gen 4 3.6 Dual exhaust, Part website

Tire and Wheel thread

Rally Armor Flaps Link to parts

DRL Disable LegacyGT Link

Hitch Thread w/ pictures, various options explained, etc.

Interior

LED's
Bulb Guide also found in owners manual
Rear Cargo Bulb Link
Entire Kit Link (need to get two fuse type bulbs instead of the T10's [<-someone confirm this] and the rear cargo bulb included is not a large one like above)
Bulb access video (for Legacy)

Dash and center console phone mounts ProClip link

Floor liners
Husky Weatherbeater Item# 99671 Front Drivers mat image
WeatherTech Digital Fit & Front Drivers mat image

Rubbermaid Bento Box, fits perfectly into armrest compartment
Dark Box
Light Box

Engine/Performance

Fumoto Oil drain valve FB25, 3.6L, Thread

K&N Drop in filter

*If my part number research is correct the intake uses the same style pannel filter as the WRX and STi but not guaranteed*

Suspension/Handling

19mm/20mm rear Sway Bar Link to thread by pi314 with how to, part links, etc.

Misc.

Subaru Accessories Link to website

DIY Mute button for navigation

Please submit your ideas or post links to ones I missed, I know they are out there!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thread is sticked.

If we keep up on this, it could cut down on the clutter greatly around here.

Thanks!

I'll do my best to keep it up to date. As I stated though, if I missed anything or if anything new comes up that I miss PLEASE post it or PM me with the links and I will be sure to add them to the first post!!

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
Thanks!

I'll do my best to keep it up to date. As I stated though, if I missed anything or if anything new comes up that I miss PLEASE post it or PM me with the links and I will be sure to add them to the first post!!
I'll leave it up to this thread (and the posters in it such as above) as far as what to put in the list, etc. I'd like to have maybe 3 tops sticky for each forum to help keep clutter down, especially on mobile versions of the forum it becomes unfocused very quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I went with black Home Depot milk crates (no logo). I zip-strapped two together to form a single unit. The holes allowed bungee cords to be passed through and clipped to the interior cargo hooks next to the seat backs.

These hold everything I need (hand tools, air compressor, ww fluid, oil, chocolate/granola bars/candles, and flashlight).

If I need to remove them, they pop-out as a single unit. In a pinch, one could rest the chassis on them (lots of guys did this with their project cars in the 70s -- those crates are incredibly strong).

Price: Ten bucks versus $40 for the Subaru soft-sided start tote (which is very nice, mind you).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with black Home Depot milk crates (no logo). I zip-strapped two together to form a single unit. The holes allowed bungee cords to be passed through and clipped to the interior cargo hooks next to the seat backs.

These hold everything I need (hand tools, air compressor, ww fluid, oil, chocolate/granola bars/candles, and flashlight).

If I need to remove them, they pop-out as a single unit. In a pinch, one could rest the chassis on them (lots of guys did this with their project cars in the 70s -- those crates are incredibly strong).

Price: Ten bucks versus $40 for the Subaru soft-sided start tote (which is very nice, mind you).

Now that's a good idea, beats the $105 Thule option that Subaru Australia are offering! Thank-you

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here are the pics. The second one shows how bungie cords/occy straps can be used to keep the milk crates in place.

The two crates have the capacity for: FA kit, four litres windshield washer fluid, litre of oil, compressor, light blanket, traffic cones, chocolate & granola bars (in case of breakdown), etc. My tool roll and a heavy wool fire blanket are to the left, held down by the bungee cords.

P.S. The crates hold a 20b propane bottle perfectly, which also makes them handy for runs to the refilling station (the crates and cords prevent the bottles from rolling around).

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts

Great! You didn't happen to measure whether 3 would fit, did you? From the pics, it looks like it might.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Three definitely won't fit. The interior dimensions are about 4 inches too short, though 6 inches wider would realistically be needed to get to the hooks that fasten the bungee cords to the tie-downs.

On the plus side, the space that's left with two crates is enough to still have a functional pass-thru for several pairs of skis etc.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Three definitely won't fit. The interior dimensions are about 4 inches too short, though 6 inches wider would realistically be needed to get to the hooks that fasten the bungee cords to the tie-downs.

On the plus side, the space that's left with two crates is enough to still have a functional pass-thru for several pairs of skis etc.
Maybe you could use skim milk crates instead of whole milk crates? :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Posted this in http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/177889-what-did-you-do-your-5th-gen-outback-today-28.html

Last weekend I installed footwell lighting. Crappy pic, but it really looks cool in person. The blue matches perfectly as it's a kit for the forester/impreza. Gives the dash a cool floating look, and some extra ambient light at night.
Bought the kit off Ebay for $85 shipped. Took about an hour, popped off vent/hazard assembly with a trim pry tool, snaked the wires down each side of the dash, mounted the lights, hooked into hazards wiring, popped the vent assembly back in....and done. comes on when parking/headlights are on, and dims with interior light dimmer.
actually found this mod over on Legacygt.com more/better instructions here:
Footwell lighting - Page 7 - Subaru Legacy Forums

first mod to the car, looking at other ideas, think I'm hooked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grimsurfer thanks for the idea of the milk crates. I put some in today. I just got my 15 Outback the Friday before Christmas so I am a newbie. My wife has a 13 CrossTrek, so we are liking Subaru.
I do have question to some other post,what is the plasti-dip? It may be very noticeable to all of you, but hey I am new.

1 - 20 of 589 Posts
About this Discussion
588 Replies
247 Participants
SubyDubie
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing