Subaru Outback Forums banner

541 - 560 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks. The video done by someone else looked pretty straight-forward. My challenge, like most projects would be finding my tools for the job. I swear I always return things to their proper place. Honest. :bonk:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I thought of a question. Currently I live in ATL, and snow is not a problem. However, in a few years, I plan to be in upstate NY driving the Subaru. On an AWD vehicle, will a stiffer RSB cause increased handling issues in snow? I think if the vehicle were FWD only, this could be more of a problem.

If anyone can comment on how their Outback with the 19mm RSB mod handles in the snow, I'd appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If anyone can comment on how their Outback with the 19mm RSB mod handles in the snow, I'd appreciate it greatly.
I've had my 19mm RSB for a few years now and live in Northern NJ so get our share of snow from time to time. Has not been a problem getting through any kind of snow and ride has been fine in terms of comfort.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've had my 19mm RSB for a few years now and live in Northern NJ.
Thanks for the confirmation... Spoke to a few people in the family familiar with modding vehicles, and they essentially told me it was a "no brainer" as far as dynamics and winter driving are concerned. However, they didn't have a Subaru, nor a spouse who might look at them cross-eyed for taking a wrench to a vehicle that's only a few weeks old. :29:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
nor a spouse who might look at them cross-eyed for taking a wrench to a vehicle that's only a few weeks old. :29:
Know the feeling. I just can't leave my vehicles alone. Have to do little things here and there to make them my own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
19mm RSB worth it...

Where I live in NY, there are a lot of hills and sharp turns. The RSB along w/ the strut brace, handles very well in snow & ice

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Trying to install an OE remote starter. The directions make it look so easy. The 2 studs you have to mount the remote starter bracket onto are behind 2 fuse panels and lots of wiring. I'm trying to figure out how to get the washers & nuts back onto the auxiliary relay block bracket studs after I fit the remote starter bracket under it. And after I get that done, I still can't find the 8 pin & 2 pin wiring connectors to plug into the remote starter wiring adapter. This has turned into quite a project & my Subaru dealer still has to program the remote starter to the BIU after I get this done. What fun, I'll try to post some pics later. In the mean time If anyone has any tips on where the 8 & 2 pin wire connectors are I'll be grateful for the help. The white protective cover has 1 bolt (easy) and 1 locking pin (hard) they don't tell you about in the directions. The lower dashboard panel has a hose and temp sensor assy. mounted on the right side of the steering column behind a small grill vent. You have to remove that also and it's not in the directions. Think I'll ask the dealer if I should leave some of this install disassembled so they can address the 2 recalls more easily. Edit: I'm still looking for both of the wiring connectors and I still can't find them. So I think I'll bolt on the remote starter and then get some dealer help finding them. I like to finish jobs I start but this one is not cooperating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 19mm RSW is not an issue at all for the snow. Given where I live (MN), I wouldn't go any stiffer than that -- but that's more due to potholes in spring than the winter/spring snow.

If you have storage space, get an additional set of wheels with snow tires for seasonal swap-outs. That will be the absolute best thing you can do for dealing with snow and ice.

I thought of a question. Currently I live in ATL, and snow is not a problem. However, in a few years, I plan to be in upstate NY driving the Subaru. On an AWD vehicle, will a stiffer RSB cause increased handling issues in snow? I think if the vehicle were FWD only, this could be more of a problem.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Any Subaru dealer's parts department. Besides the bar itself, you also need to buy two 19mm rubber bushings. Part numbers:

• 19mm RSB = 20451FG020
  • 19mm bushing = 20464FG020
Kit comes with bushings on the sites I’ve seen it on

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dear Mr. Dan M

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I believe the remote engine starter wiring is separate, but we would recommend that you confirm this information with an authorized Subaru retailer. They are your best source for technical assistance.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Amber A
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

I hope Amber is wrong about the remote engine starter wiring being separate. Besides the hood switch wiring was where it was supposed to be according to the instructions. I thought the car was pre-wired for the remote starter option already. The kit came with a "Y" cable to attach to the remote starter and then to the car wiring. I just can't find the 2 pin & 8 pin car wiring connectors to attach to the "Y" cable. I'm going to Curry Subaru Thursday for a state inspection, to get the 2 recalls fixed, get a wheel alignment and have the remote starter programmed. I'll let you know how this turns out. The photo shows the 2 white car wiring connectors that plug into the "Y" cable. The blue jumper gets removed from the 2 wire connector.
RemoteStartConnectors.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Follow the OBD2 connector wiring up towards a black taped bundle of wires. You'll see some different colored wires looping back up under the tape. If you squeeze the tape above the looped wires you'll feel the 8 pin connector under the tape. Carefully slice some of the black tape to reveal the 8 pin connector. Follow some thicker wires coming from the back of the BIU fuse holder to find the two pin connector. Follow them to see two small black wires folding back under the tape (actually the same wire). Slice the black tape to reveal the two pin connector with the black jumper wire.

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Maybe I'll leave that 2 pin connector jumper in. Just to see if the engine stops when I open the door.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My mod with the biggest bang-for-buck has been removing the styrofoam on top of the spare tire. All the stuff I was storing open in the cargo area can now fit down there with room to spare. That styrofoam took up so much useful volume. If I need substantially more volume, I will remove the spare tire completely. In my decades of driving, I have never used a spare tire.

541 - 560 of 601 Posts
About this Discussion
600 Replies
252 Participants
chrisisinclair
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing