Subaru Outback Forums banner

561 - 580 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
My mod with the biggest bang-for-buck has been removing the styrofoam on top of the spare tire. All the stuff I was storing open in the cargo area can now fit down there with room to spare. That styrofoam took up so much useful volume. If I need substantially more volume, I will remove the spare tire completely. In my decades of driving, I have never used a spare tire.
Could you post a few pictures?

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
My mod with the biggest bang-for-buck has been removing the styrofoam on top of the spare tire. All the stuff I was storing open in the cargo area can now fit down there with room to spare. That styrofoam took up so much useful volume. If I need substantially more volume, I will remove the spare tire completely. In my decades of driving, I have never used a spare tire.
I've just been throwing the spare in the back seat floor. Mine doesn't fit in the well anyway.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Could you post a few pictures?
Examples pics are attached. There is room to spare for more stuff. All that stuff was stored up top before. That ice scraper stays out when I am driving in snow country.
E4717656-94B3-427C-8833-487DFEA424AE.jpeg 7078BD13-09D6-4C92-849E-AE491FC5E220.jpeg

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I'm sorry jakemccoy, I meant of the styrofoam. What did you cut it with? and are you still using the styrofoam spare cover?
There is nothing to cut. There is a huge styrofoam piece that sits over the tire. Just pull it out. My styrofoam is still in tact. I can reinstall it in 10 seonds.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There is nothing to cut. There is a huge styrofoam piece that sits over the tire. Just pull it out. My styrofoam is still in tact. I can reinstall it in 10 seonds.
Gotcha I thought you cut off that big cone of styrofoam on the bottom of the jack & tool holder foam plate. But you just removed the whole thing instead. Good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I learned some fiberglassing techniques from a guy who did custom sub installs. Since I did a lift and I plan on doing a full spare on a rack on the back I will delete that spare as well and use the fiberglass techniques to fill the area in.

So you pull everything out and then layer the whole area with blue painters tape. Try to mask larger than the area you want so you can trim down. NOTE: Apply sticky side up btw. Once you have a solid barrier between that and the body of the car, later the thin fiberglass sheets on the surface of the blue tape. It’s okay if it overlaps and some is off the tape as it will happen to get full coverage.

After you a nice layer of fiberglass mix your resin. It’s just standard 2 part epoxy you can get at Home Depot. Mix a small amount and do a small coat. Repeat the process about 4-5 times or as much as necessary to form a rigid mold. If you plan to put a lot of stuff in there I would add more layers.

Once you do this you can then let the resin cure for 24hrs. Once it’s cured you can pull it out of the trunk space.

Pull it out, trim the edges, remove the tape from the exterior and then sand. You can then paint match if desired. You can then add Velcro so the molding stays in place and doesn’t rattle in there. You can also mold specific shapes or indentations to encompass things you specifically want to store (like the spare tire LOL).

If you want to add a sub you can add a lip when molding and then add your wood face and run wires as needed. You can add a gasket or glue to ensure you get a good seal between the fiberglass molding and the wood face.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to do this to just make extra storage area when I add the tow hitch and spare tire.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well the remote starter is in and programmed to the car by Subaru. They fixed the 2 recalls as well. I left the lower dash panels off to make it easier for them to do the recalls and programming. Even though they still had no mercy on the labor charge it's done. Any way my cars back, seems to be working and I put all the panels back on. Why it's now better than new I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was thinking about do this also. Did you notice an increase in noise?

I had an Xterra with a large storage area and really miss it. I managed to spread everything out on top of the foam but there was no room for the air compressor, bottle jack, can of fixaflat or battery pack. Put them in a bag and will just toss them in for road trip since I don't "need" them around town.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I was thinking about do this also. Did you notice an increase in noise?

I had an Xterra with a large storage area and really miss it. I managed to spread everything out on top of the foam but there was no room for the air compressor, bottle jack, can of fixaflat or battery pack. Put them in a bag and will just toss them in for road trip since I don't "need" them around town.
I do not sense an increase in noise. I have all that stuff, plus some other stuff, packed around the spare tire. To be clear, you keep the styrofoam intact. Just take it out. If you change your mind, you can put it back.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
It is a known issue since the forum software upgrade. Vertical Scope is aware of it. Hopefully there is a fix shortly. Fingers crossed.

561 - 580 of 601 Posts
About this Discussion
600 Replies
252 Participants
chrisisinclair
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing