Subaru Outback Forums banner

601 - 620 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
404 Posts
If anyone sources new links I will update them to original post.
Hi Brucey,
I can't find the mod thread for converting power ports to full time power not just when ignition is on. Particurally the cargo area power port. That would be a great mod for charging cell phone or using GOS with engine or running a small fridge if battery has been upgraded.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
404 Posts
Hi Brucey,
I can't find the mod thread for converting power ports to full time power not just when ignition is on. Particurally the cargo area power port. That would be a great mod for charging cell phone or using GOS with engine or running a small fridge if battery has been upgraded.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are the part numbers listed for the rear sway bar (20451FG020 and 2 of 20464FG020) applicable to the 2015-2019? Or is it only good for the 2010-2014?
(trying to dig through the thread to see, but not seeing confirmation)

Thanks!

Pretty sure it is (retailer link on the first page lists it as 2015-2019)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like your advise. Thank you! I can imagine its a pretty risky job. The part I have less confidence is the time when the coat life would enter its shedding era....Most people say that OPti gloss is better than opt coat 2.0. just a thought...

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
644 Posts
Reactions: KSKarl

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
643 Posts
Are the part numbers listed for the rear sway bar (20451FG020 and 2 of 20464FG020) applicable to the 2015-2019? Or is it only good for the 2010-2014?
(trying to dig through the thread to see, but not seeing confirmation)

Thanks!

Pretty sure it is (retailer link on the first page lists it as 2015-2019)
The 20mm RSB I put into my 17 has a part no tag looks like 20451VA200 - but there's a scuff across the VA part, so that's really a best guess.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
643 Posts
Thanks. Like I said the middle of the part number took a hit. The bar has been there a couple years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I modified my previous OB with an accessory circuit manual enable switch. Allowed turning on the accessory circuits (like all the power recepticles) without having to have the key in the ignition. If I get around to doing this on my '18 I'll post info if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,917 Posts
A few years back, in this thread, I posted my attempt at jumping fuse 7 (CIGAR, which is the cig lighter outlet) to a circuit with constant power (best option, IMO, is 28). Well, I didn't put much thought into that, and later discovered it was done incorrectly. So, as a correction, I'm posting my notes from when I sorted it out in case it could be helpful for anyone. I'm also posting a picture of the resulting add-a-circuit arrangement since proper orientation (after identifying the hot side of each fuse in the panel) is critical to insure it's wired correctly.

My wiring includes a second tap (14AWG black wire) which I routed to the center console (cubby) outlet. For that mod, using brute force, I yanked out the old stock outlet and replaced it with a marine-grade outlet rated for more power (15A): Marinco 12VRC Sealink Deluxe Receptacle 12v for sale online | eBay.

My Viair 85P runs like a top off the new cubby outlet - a little more on that mod can be found here: 2014 Outback 12v plugs not working

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
51 Posts
A few years back, in this thread, I posted my attempt at jumping fuse 7 (CIGAR, which is the cig lighter outlet) to a circuit with constant power (best option, IMO, is 28). Well, I didn't put much thought into that, and later discovered it was done incorrectly. So, as a correction, I'm posting my notes from when I sorted it out in case it could be helpful for anyone. I'm also posting a picture of the resulting add-a-circuit arrangement since proper orientation (after identifying the hot side of each fuse in the panel) is critical to insure it's wired correctly.
View attachment 485375 View attachment 485376

My wiring includes a second tap (14AWG black wire) which I routed to the center console (cubby) outlet. For that mod, using brute force, I yanked out the old stock outlet and replaced it with a marine-grade outlet rated for more power (15A): Marinco 12VRC Sealink Deluxe Receptacle 12v for sale online | eBay.

My Viair 85P runs like a top off the new cubby outlet - a little more on that mod can be found here: 2014 Outback 12v plugs not working
Glad to hear you found the mistake without burning up a wire. Someday I would like to get around to doing this myself, but I haven't prioritized it yet. But, I'm more interested in making the outlet in the cargo area constantly hot. Does that outlet share the same circuit as the console/cubby outlets? (i.e. if I copy your mod, will it power the rear outlet as well?)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,917 Posts
...I'm more interested in making the outlet in the cargo area constantly hot. Does that outlet share the same circuit as the console/cubby outlets? (i.e. if I copy your mod, will it power the rear outlet as well?)
No, both the console (cubby) and cargo outlets share the 20A fuse above (12V SOCKET). Since it's in the same column, I believe you could just shift the top connector up one position (from fuse 7 to fuse 2), but I would still confirm with a meter. My cubby outlet is now completely disconnected from the 12V SOCKET circuit, so my cargo area outlet remains switched. I think my original mistake resulted in power from fuse 7 backfeeding into all the 12V outlets (i.e., they all turned to constant power even though I only jumped to fuse 7). I lived with that arrangement for a year or 2 with no adverse affects that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
97 Posts
View attachment 485375 View attachment 485376

A very clever hack!

So for clarification:
-The left fuseholder is hot on the right side of it, load on the left side of it.
-The right fuseholder is hot on the left side of it, load on the right side of it.

Is that correct?

Random aside: For your lighter sockets and similar needs I found these guys:
They have all these cool pods and meters and sockets and stuff.

601 - 620 of 625 Posts