Subaru Outback Forums banner

621 - 627 of 627 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad to hear you found the mistake without burning up a wire. Someday I would like to get around to doing this myself, but I haven't prioritized it yet. But, I'm more interested in making the outlet in the cargo area constantly hot. Does that outlet share the same circuit as the console/cubby outlets? (i.e. if I copy your mod, will it power the rear outlet as well?)
On the '18, the schematic shows fuse #2 supplying cargo area outlet as well as center console outlet.
Fuse #7 supplies the front outlet.

Both fuses are fed from ignition controlled relay "Accessory Relay 2".

So you would need 3 add-a-taps: 1 to take power from an always-on donor circuit, and that feeds the other two taps in place of fuses 2 & 7.

As noted earlier YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHICH SIDE IS THE LOAD SIDE OF EACH FUSE vs. the HOT/SUPPLY SIDE.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's the 2018 version of always-on power to the center & rear outlets. I didn't bother with the front one under the radio (fuse #2) because I didn't want them all always-on, and feeding them all is problematic using the add-a-circuits. So you'll only need two add-a-circuits here.

So here's the deal:

In the under-dash fusebox, fuse #25 is fed from always-on battery power. According to the schematic, it doesn't do anything. There's also a couple other fuse holders with no purpose, but those don't appear to be connected at all. The strange thing is that Subaru puts fuses in all 3 of them. I guess it's just easier on the assembly line to put fuses in every available hole, in service or not. So #25 is up for grabs as far as I can tell.

Pull the fuses from #2 and #25.

Take two add-a-circuit adapters (you need the version for ATM-LP fuses) and crimp the wires together. Take the fuses you just pulled out, and install them in the add-a-circuits as pictured. Okay, not quite as pictured, because #2 is actually a 20 amp fuse. The add-a-circuit people want you to use no more than 10 amp, so that's what I'm showing below. If you use a 10 amp and a 20 amp, no worries, because they are in series and the smaller one defines the level of protection for the circuit.

Note you don't need fuses in the other slots of the add-a-circuits because they don't server any function when reconfiguring things in this manner.

Insert them in the fuse holders of #2 & #25, oriented as shown. If you get the orientation of one or the other wrong, nothing bad will happen. Indeed nothing at all will happen.

The center and rear receptacles should now be on regardless of the key position.

IMG_7439.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6 / 2019 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5 / 2011 Toyota Camry SE / 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra (gone but not forgotten)
16 Posts
Are there any alternatives to the Rubbermaid Bento boxes? Or does anyone have the actual part number for them? The links show the products are no longer available at those retailers.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
8 Posts
Are there any alternatives to the Rubbermaid Bento boxes? Or does anyone have the actual part number for them? The links show the products are no longer available at those retailers.
I too, would love to know this. Had gone digging for this and am trying to find other center console storage solutions for my "new" 2018.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
I too, would love to know this. Had gone digging for this and am trying to find other center console storage solutions for my "new" 2018.
Heh, I see a larger RB Bento box on eBay right now for $50 - listed as a "rare item" - good luck with that sale. Anyway, these are long gone it seems, but I just measured mine and the dimensions are 5.625x5.625x4.563 inches. I don't see a product number, just a Rubbermaid stamp inside. Seems the closest thing I can easily find is a square tissue box holder. They vary in size slightly, so you might even find one that fits snug, just like the bento, of course it just won't have the nifty little organizer pockets.
bentobox.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Heh, I see a larger RB Bento box on eBay right now for $50 - listed as a "rare item" - good luck with that sale. Anyway, these are long gone it seems, but I just measured mine and the dimensions are 5.625x5.625x4.563 inches. I don't see a product number, just a Rubbermaid stamp inside. Seems the closest thing I can easily find is a square tissue box holder. They vary in size slightly, so you might even find one that fits snug, just like the bento, of course it just won't have the nifty little organizer pockets.
View attachment 487940
Swear I've seen those at Bed Bath & Beyond!

Elsewhere on this site, I saw where someone had taken the inner divider compartments of a camera bag and put them in the center console. Very clever idea. Need to prowl the thrift store for a retired camera bag to cannibalize.

621 - 627 of 627 Posts