Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Was having my car detailed Monday and my detail guy told me he saw moisture in the rear passenger tail light... is this a known thing with the Outback? I am guessing it shouldn't do this. We had a couple days of real heavy rain and I guess the tail light was fogged up slightly. I didn't see it myself.

Of the other threads where people have reported water getting into their car, I am thankful that it hasn't happened to my Outback, but now am worried about the tailight.

Having oil changed Saturday, plan to bring it up with them, but thought I'd ask in here.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,403 Posts
After torrential rains I had a small amount of condensation in the driver's side tail-light but it went away within a day and hasn't returned despite other torrential rains.

Reactions: rfuree11

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so it's probably "normal" and "expected", so I won't let it haunt my mind, lol

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,576 Posts
Another couple of members seem to have had the same thing happen and at least one of them had their dealer replace the assembly. Might be worth it to take it to the dealer

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
62 Posts
I had a similar issue after a heavy rainstorm a few weeks ago. It rained couples time after, but it never really fog/condensed ever since. I assumed this was normal and never really thought about it.

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
153 Posts
WOW. Brand new cars. Yeah, press the dealer/contact SOA to have it looked into. I can't imagine plastic already cracked, so it might be some bulb socket/seal defect.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
163 Posts
Not sure how Subaru designed the lights, but they can be designed to work this way. It might not be a concern.

My dad had an F150 with taillights that had small vents in them to prevent fogging. If heavy precipitation or a water hose was put on the light for too long, they would get water inside (small pools if it was particularly heavy). A day or two of dry weather and the humidity would vent out.

Again not saying this is the case on the Outback, but I would not be surprised at all if it is. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,585 Posts
Remove assembly - quite easy to do - then pull out the bulbs and let it dry out. Or if you need to get somewhere soon, use a hairdryer on low setting to push air into one bulb mounting socket and out of the other, sealing it with duct tape.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,403 Posts
If the condensation stayed in my lens I would have taken it to the dealer but since it went away and never came back I left it alone.

@johnre is right that the outer tail light lenses are easy to remove in the Gen 6 but since you're under warranty might as well have the dealer take care of it.

If you want to take off your own lenses, I followed the OEM hitch install video where the first step is to remove the tail lights.

Reactions: KurtK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts