Subaru Outback Forums banner

Monroney "Window" Sticker Question

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  30917 
#1 ·
I’m expecting to get the survey soon about my sales experience at the dealership. Originally, I was happy with the dealership. The VIP purchase was very simple and no hassle, they gave me a good deal on my trade in, and they were happy to track down the exact car I wanted by trading with another dealer (3.6 cars seem to be in limited supply around here).

However, there is one thing that is now bothering me. Since they were going to be swapping cars with another dealer, I accepted that the car would have a few more miles on it than you would normally expect at delivery. I told my salesman, I wanted no more than 100 miles at delivery and he said no problem. Once he found a car, I asked him where it was coming from and he told me a town that’s about 30 miles away, so I said ok. When I went to pick up the car, it had 82 miles on it. When questioned about it he said they had to get the car from a different dealer and that dealer had already swapped it once, so I figured the 82 miles was probably about right.

Last night though, I was looking at the Monroney “window” sticker that was left in the glove box and noticed that is says the car was sold and shipped to the dealer I purchased from. From what I’ve read, the sticker is printed at the factory and cannot be changed by the dealer. What I’m wondering is did the dealer lie and deceive me about the car (shocking I know)? At the end of the day, 82 miles is not a huge deal and I plan on keeping this car for about 10 years and maybe 200k miles so I’m not really worried long term, but my response on the dealer satisfaction survey will certainly not be very positive.

Am I correct in my understanding that the window sticker is factory printed only and dealerships can not reprint them? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
If the car you wanted was already built, then it's possible that the original dealer (your's) previously swapped it for something else. It happens from time to time. If you ordered your OB to be built from the factory, then there is a problem.

#3 ·
The Monroney is part of the DNA of a car and shows which dealer the car was originally delivered to.
It's possible the car you bought was swapped to another dealer and then swapped back to your dealer. Ask your dealer to explain your concerns.

#4 ·
I bought mine at one dealer, the car came from another, had 70 miles on the clock, sticker was from the other dealer, which it should of been. Maybe yours was from a financial deal that didn't go thur, or they changed there mined. You can't trust them,it's all about the money, there supposed to call you in a couple days to see how you like the car, 40 days no one has called,I didn't go for any extras either you could see the F/M was upset, all the gimmicks to get more money out of the customer.

The VIN # on the window sticker should be the same as on your windshield, if not take it back.

#5 ·
Sounds like your salesman told you the truth. The car had been traded twice, exactly like he told you.

What exactly are you proposing? That they had the car the whole time, but they didn't want to give it to you. What sense does that make?

You think they're lying to you? Why? What advantage would lying about that have given them? Do you think they were lying to you for their own entertainment? I don't get it?

85 miles is totally consistent with a car that's gone back and forth to a town 30 miles away.

#6 ·
Could be trying to cover a few demo spins around the neighborhood although trading a car and then getting it back is not unheard of. Maybe the other dealer could not produce their car to complete the trade.

#7 ·
Everything adds up the dealer being truthful, really.

That being said...when shopping around for the new Outback I specifically wanted one on a dealers lot with next to 0 miles or one built at the factory; I did NOT want to have one transported from another dealership. Who knows who is driving the car and what kind of disregard they have for the break-in period and other abuse to a brand new car.

82 miles isn't bad...but the dealerships I went to were looking to bring cars to NJ from either Vermont or Maryland. I said heck no.

#12 ·
Back in the day, I bought a dealer trade Dodge Intrepid, had 300 miles on it when I took delivery. At 500 miles, the engine devolved a rod knock.
Since then, I always watch my car roll off the transporter truck.

#8 ·
I asked the question to make sure I understood correctly that the sticker can't be changed and always shows where the car was originally delivered. What the salesman told me was that the car originated at another dealer. That is why I was surprised to see that the sticker (which does match my VIN) said it was delivered originally to the dealer I purchased from. If the car had been originally delivered to my dealer and swapped to another before being swapped back, that's fine. Even if they used it once or twice for a test drive, although I would have preferred not, it isn't a big deal. I just didn't know why he couldn't tell me the real story. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

#15 ·
I asked the question to make sure I understood correctly that the sticker can't be changed and always shows where the car was originally delivered. What the salesman told me was that the car originated at another dealer. That is why I was surprised to see that the sticker (which does match my VIN) said it was delivered originally to the dealer I purchased from. If the car had been originally delivered to my dealer and swapped to another before being swapped back, that's fine. Even if they used it once or twice for a test drive, although I would have preferred not, it isn't a big deal. I just didn't know why he couldn't tell me the real story. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
See dictionary, "car salesperson" haha

#9 ·
Ours had 200 miles on it had been swapped multiple times. Not a big deal unless there is transport damage on it some place and you have issues with that.

By the way my state considers any car with less than 7500 miles a new car so your sort of making a stink over nothing.

By the way the dealer I bought it from swapped a car for ours 700 mile transport ride for both cars.

#18 ·
I think you should go enjoy your new car, and quit over analyzing it....salepeople typically don't handle the trading end, and I doubt he was trying to pull the wool over your eyes. It sounds like he delivered the car you wanted, with under the mileage restriction YOU placed on him....and, I am sure as is typical in teh new car world today, he made a $100ish dollar commission....Selling cars used to be fun and rewarding, I feel bad for anyone trying to make a living doing it today

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for giving me a little perspective on this. Bottom line is my salesman got me the exact car I wanted with mileage under the amount I requested and in perfect condition. At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't really matter what journey the car took to get to the dealer so long as it was not damaged in the process.

There are many more important things in life to worry about. I'm just going to continue enjoying the ride in my new Outback! :29:

#20 ·
The VIN on the sticker always matches the VIN on the car. My 2013 changed hands twice; dealers trade cars quite often. That is where the claim that they can "locate" excat model, color and options comes from. They try to locate cars withing driving distance although some even use car transporters to get the car that they want to sell.

#21 ·
My OB came from Orlando but was put on a transporter to get to my dealer in my hometown. The window sticker is from the Orlando dealer and my dealer still gave a me a good deal on the car too. Dealers do trade the cars around a lot and most will put the cars on a transporter. Traffic is so bad down here, that they can't risk getting them in a wreck. They still can get in a wreck but an 18 wheeler still commands some respect I guess...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.