Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited - Deep Indigo Pearl
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had this issue with their moonroof? I have a 2012 Outback and it wouldn't close, then it would open after they serviced it.

Well now they are saying that the track expanded and it needs body work because it craked the paint on the roof. It's been in since Friday (I also got a flat tire!) and I won't have it back until next week because it needs to go to a body shop.

They've told me it's 100% covered and that they haven't seen anything like this.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their moonroof? This will be the second repair, if I have issues with it again, I'm going to be a bit annoyed.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
I don't know if this is an issue, or the correct functioning, but when I open the moonroof in tilt position (rear of it tilts up), there is only about a 1/2" of ventilation at max opening. Seems pretty insufficient to even have it operate in this way if that's so. Does this sound like it's working correctly, or could there be a problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if this is an issue, or the correct functioning, but when I open the moonroof in tilt position (rear of it tilts up), there is only about a 1/2" of ventilation at max opening. Seems pretty insufficient to even have it operate in this way if that's so. Does this sound like it's working correctly, or could there be a problem?
Not sure, it just wouldn't open or close reliabily and that's opening and closing it completely, nothing to do with the tilt.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Wondering if anyone can verify the tilt is supposed to only open about 1/2".

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Temp seems to impact the sun roof in a big way. Can you get it closed using the switch? Don't force the glass with your hands. Park the car in a warm garage for a little bit if its stuck and try it again.

Once you get it closed the switch will probably need to be reprogrammed which is very easy to do you can do it your self in about 3 minutes. If the switch looses programming the tilt switch will not work and the slider switch will not have the one touch open and close function.

To reprogram start with it closed fully

Touch the switch to open do not hold it down. Each time the sun roof stops moving touch the switch again keep doing this till it is at a full stop open.
Then touch it for every stop when closing it keep going past the close it will tip up and tip down with each close touch on the button.

Your re teaching the stop points to the switch once you have done the full open full close and full tilt up and down make sure you press close to make sure its fully completed the cycle. At this point the tip up and down switch should work now and the one touch open and close should work. I've had to reprogram mine a couple of times when cold temps hung up the slider and caused the switch to loose its stop points.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
If the tip up or down switch has stopped working then use the primary open close switch it will revert to the primary control to open and close the sun roof this is what happens when the switch looses its programmed positions of the sun roof. ^ see my instructions on reprogramming the switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue is this, I have taken it into the shop, over two weeks ago and they still haven't returned it. They said it would be ready Friday, not ready. Then it was to be ready today, nope, not ready.

Then my service guy was supposed to call me back and explain what the issue was and when I called back, he'd left for the day. I was just so frustrated. They said the reason it was taking so long was because the master technician was doing the work and something about having to put the headliner back.

I've tried to do some research, it looks like the water wasn't draining properly through the drain tubes and that's why I had body damage done. Which they fixed. They said it's all covered and I won't pay a dime.

Still frustrating that I can't get them to EXPLAIN this to me and I have to try to figure this out on my own.

Two and a half weeks to fix this?

Venting, I miss having my car and I have a 9 year old and two dogs, I got the loaner car washed on Friday and had to keep it longer, so it's dirty again.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 PREMIUM
4 Posts
Moonroof

With only 800 miles on my new 2012 outback the moonroof stopped working. It would only open an inch or two then had a hard time closing. I went back to my dealer,they changed the switches. That did not work so they changed the inside parts. That finally worked. We will see what the future brings. But i must add that subaru of staten island did a great job and even a loner car. Thanks cecilia. At subsru.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With only 800 miles on my new 2012 outback the moonroof stopped working. It would only open an inch or two then had a hard time closing. I went back to my dealer,they changed the switches. That did not work so they changed the inside parts. That finally worked. We will see what the future brings. But i must add that subaru of staten island did a great job and even a loner car. Thanks cecilia. At subsru.
Got it back today and I'm happy, they didn't Charge me for my flat, gave me a 15% discount on installing the divider in the back and um, didn't flip out about the stupid fender bender I had this morning dropping my daughter off at school. My God, it sucked. The dog was in the front seat, the daughter got out of the car and he tried to lunge out of the window, I freaked out, grabbed him and took my foot of the break. I did a nice slow roll into the car in front of me.

They are going to touch up the paint damage there and just charge me for that.

I am so grateful, it will be much cheaper than my deductible. So I do have to give a shout out to Sebastian at Irvine Subaru. Sad that they say most people don't even point out the little dings that happen when borrowing a car. Now, if I had my car, the corgi would have been in the back with the new separator...

lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sunroof in my car quit opening/closing. I took it back to the dealership I bought it from. The tech told me it's a known defect in the 2012 outback & they replaced the moonroof. I'm not sure what happened, but when I got the car back, the am/fm portion of the radio wouldn't work. BT & CD were ok. I went back in & they found a wire was loosely connected. This fixed the FM, but still no AM & no scan. Then it was determined the back window of the car was scratched, therefore interrupted the signal. I'm now on the second back window (the first window was thought to be defective). They also tried replacing the radio unit itself. It still doesn't work. Has anyone had a problem like this? It's been into the shop 3 times to try & get this fixed. Currently I'm driving a loaner car & miss my outback!

·
Registered
1 Posts
moonroof rust

Hi All. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has had the moonroof repaired and then found some paint defect and rust nearby. I was so distraught that my 1 year old car has rust on it already!

Do you know under what warranty the rust repair was covered? The dealership who originally repaired the moonroof denies any damage during the moonroof repair, but now I have an approximately 10 inch long stripe of chipped paint and rust on the back edge of the moonroof.

Any help would be much appreciated! Headed to the dealership today to have it "checked."

-thibodrm

Wondering if anyone has had this issue with their moonroof? I have a 2012 Outback and it wouldn't close, then it would open after they serviced it.

Well now they are saying that the track expanded and it needs body work because it craked the paint on the roof. It's been in since Friday (I also got a flat tire!) and I won't have it back until next week because it needs to go to a body shop.

They've told me it's 100% covered and that they haven't seen anything like this.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their moonroof? This will be the second repair, if I have issues with it again, I'm going to be a bit annoyed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moonroof

I have the same problem multiple times since we bought it new in 2012. I just got off the phone with Matt Slapp Subaru and I was told it might not be covered by the warranty because it's been so long. Looking into the lemon law.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Touring.
9 Posts
Temp seems to impact the sun roof in a big way. Can you get it closed using the switch? Don't force the glass with your hands. Park the car in a warm garage for a little bit if its stuck and try it again.

Once you get it closed the switch will probably need to be reprogrammed which is very easy to do you can do it your self in about 3 minutes. If the switch looses programming the tilt switch will not work and the slider switch will not have the one touch open and close function.

To reprogram start with it closed fully

Touch the switch to open do not hold it down. Each time the sun roof stops moving touch the switch again keep doing this till it is at a full stop open.
Then touch it for every stop when closing it keep going past the close it will tip up and tip down with each close touch on the button.

Your re teaching the stop points to the switch once you have done the full open full close and full tilt up and down make sure you press close to make sure its fully completed the cycle. At this point the tip up and down switch should work now and the one touch open and close should work. I've had to reprogram mine a couple of times when cold temps hung up the slider and caused the switch to loose its stop points.
Fantastic!. I left my sunroof/moonroof open in the vent position on a cold rainy night and it would no longer open or close. I followed your reprograming instructions and now 100%. You just saved me a trip to the dealer. Thank you so much. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback which came with a moonroof. The moonroof will leak if you don't keep the drainage lines that come off the front tracks of the moonroof cleaned out. Of course, no tells you this when you buy the car. Also the moonroof may fail even if you don't regularly use it. I had probably opened my less than 10 times in seven years but when I took it in the dealership to find out why the moonroof was leaking again, the maintenance tech said the tracks had failed and the whole moonroof would have to be replaced. Something should not mechanically fail after being used that infrequently. He implied that this was a common failure and told me to contact Subaru to see if they might pay some of the cost to repair which was about $1500. Subaru will not admit that there is a design flaw with the moonroof and will not put an extended warranty on it. Subaru agreed only to pay $500 of the replacement cost. The dealership could not replace the moonroof immediately so I took the car home only to find out when it rained, the car totally flooded. I came out after a rain to find an inch of water sitting in my rubber floor mats, and the carpet underneath them sopping wet. There is no way to dry out the carpet w/o removing the seat which only the dealership can remove due to the electronic airbags which are tied to the car's computer system and also have an ignition device that can fire if not properly discharged/disenabled. The dealership refused to pay any of the costs for drying out the car. I will never buy another Subaru w/ a moonroof.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts