Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we bought an '03 LLB model and I figured I could get used to the cramped drivers seat, but not so sure. :)

I'm seeing that people get creative with their OBs, so I'm hoping that someone is able to have a suggestion on how I can get a little more legroom?

Is there an aftermarket steering wheel tilt, telescope adapter? Seat relocation brackets that can make it go back further? Something???

My knee is pretty much right between the wheel and console. If i try to turn the wheel, it gets real tight between my hand and leg.

I cant imagine I'm the only one...there has to be something? :D

Aside from that, I like it. It rides nicely, gets better gas mileage than my xterra and can still tow a bit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
6'3" here. Once I'm in, I'm fine, but I always get stuck on the wheel entering or exiting the vehicle. Legroom isn't an issue once sitting down. How tall are you?

There is always a solution if you look into companies that modify vehicles for the disabled. They have the proper licensing to modify seat tracks, steering wheels, etc. Making the seat mount further back can definitely be done, but it wouldn't be cheap.

·
Registered
120 Posts
6'8 here. you should try a non llbean outback. my base's are alittle tight but not uncomfortable fit for me. although if you want MILES of head and leg room get a wrx wagon. thats the only reason i havent gotten rid of it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6'8" geez. My seats must be very different in the LLB model. They are motorized which I could do without.

I guess I will try to find someone that has a regular version and try those seats.

I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam, so mostly leg. And I had ACL surgery on my right knee twice, so it's a bit more susceptible to feeling it at that angle. Are the gas pedals heavy on all OBs?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
I'm also 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I have a base model 2003 OB. Legroom is my only complaint with most Outback before the Gen 4 model (which I couldn't stand driving).

Had a Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3...never adequate legroom for me. It is one of the "trade off" for the other qualities of the vehicle in my book, although I haven't had knee surgery.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon
71 Posts
And nobody offers a custom "driver's side seat" bracket or new seat rails that allow the seat to go back onther 2 inches ?

I also notice the tight fit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,644 Posts
And nobody offers a custom "driver's side seat" bracket or new seat rails that allow the seat to go back onther 2 inches ?

I also notice the tight fit.

Thanks
I can't imagine anyone would nowadays. I dunno - Subaru claims to do custom 'disability' modifications - maybe you could find a way to utilize that?

Imagine the liability if something broke, or someone was injured and claimed; "I had no idea the airbag might not be effective if I installed those rails", w'ever, etc.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
The driver's seat was fine for me in my 2004...kept it almost all the way back (but I'm 5' 10"). The passenger's seat was definitely cramped though. My '08 is slightly better. One of my taller friends drove it and commented that he "could actually kick a clutch in this one if it were standard unlike the last one."

Unfortunately, I have no workaround for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to attempt this soon. I recently lost my company car and will be driving my wifes Outback for work. I'm 6'3" with 3 past knee surgeries and I really need some more legroom.

There is a company that makes "Bigboy" brackets for Jeeps and folks really appreciate the added legroom. I dont need much and maybe 3" or so should be enough. Wish me luck

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Good Luck

Please post any solutions. I am the same way. Having something fabricated seemed to be the way. I have it done before for Jeeps and trucks. One thing to consider regarding that route, head room, if you are tall already.

I am 5'-11", kind-of long legs...but long arms too. So...kind of short torsoe. I have the seat all of the way down and back same as cardoc. The driving position s##ks. I am practically straight-arming the wheel. When I raise the seat (besides moving forward a bit) I get a better arm position. However, I don't like rasing my sightline...Seems to crowd the top of the windshield. With the sun-visor, forget it I am looking at my knees.

My Cherokee with the "milk crate" style position is more comfy to drive I think.

I had my knee done as well, but my left. And I have a 5EAT so it isn't so critical.

I just try to focus on the BOOST...evrything else usually melts away.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am 6ft and yes the seat is all the way back but as AWDFTW says to the Ob has legroom issue's. My Acura TL before getting this was perfect and had the seat not all the way back and fit perfect. Also the seat on OB's cuts me off way before the knee giving no support for the thigh.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Easy fix - get a 2010 or newer OB - seating space in the older gen models was one of the biggest complaints and non competitive factors the OB was facing till the 2010 redesign.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts