Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 outback . lowered on sti suspension
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, new member here. i have a little knowledge on these subaroos, but was wondering if anyone has been able to achieve getting some real horsepower out of these 2.5 dohc engines. my bad boy has just turned 300k on the clock, its an automatic also. ive noticed that the car seems sluggish , i think this is mainly due to its high millage as the car is regularly serviced with dealer parts. short of putting a wrx motor in it i was toying with the idea of building a more powerful engine. any ideas? has anyone done this or know of anyone that has? ive searched around but only found people with the typical bolt ons, which i think will be a waste of time . I was thinking i would pull an engine from the junkyard and would like to add some better heads? maybe cams? followed by some bigger injectors and finish it of with a decent tune . i dont want crazy horsepower but i think 200hp would be ideal. i love my outback and would only upgrade to a 2005 and up xt turbo but im not a millionaire lol any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on where to gwt thease parts if they even make them

·
Registered
288 Posts
..... dont want crazy horsepower but i think 200hp would be ideal.....

Don't hold your breath!, or waste your money.
If you want 200 hp get an XT

O.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Not sure how difficult this actually is to do but I've read of LOTS of people putting 2.2 heads on the 2.5. Not sure what the gains are but it raises compression.

I recently also saw a guy on Craigslist selling an engine that was a 2.2 with ej20t heads on it. So I know it's all possible and I think the HGs are mostly the same. Not sure if water jackets line up but I would assume.

Good luck! Be sure to post up what you end up doing!

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
The car was rated from the factory at 165 Horses, so getting 35HP extra should not be too difficult. Probably the easiest least expensive way would be just to increase its breathing abilty, subject of course to local regulations. If your in the 300K mileage rebuilding the engine is a must. If you are going to get an engine to rebuild get a 1999 Outback 2.5L DOHC. During the rebuild I would have the Block Decked, and the heads shaved. A minor port matching on the intake and a set of headers to improve breathing. Upping a price level and adding a decent set of high flow injectors. This should get you close to 200HP Barring spending big $$ and doing some custom work, like crank lightening, custom connecting rods. lightened custom pistons, balancing the assembly, big dollar head work. 35 Hp gains from stock should be easy without breaking the bank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts