Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the Morimoto 2Stroke LED bulbs (From the Retro fit source) for headlights?????
I have a 2015 2.5I with eyesight, (w/ everything but factory HIDs:frown2:).. and I need something better to see the road!!

I searched the Forum w/ no luck or any mention of the TRS 2Stroke kit …

I’ve had multiple HID kits from TRS (and loved them & the warranty) but with the advancement of LEDs plus direct plug and play I’m leaning towards these… and wondering if anyone has tried them?

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:
I ordered the Morimoto LED kit! :nerd:
should arrive tomorrow - @10K lumens they should be bright!

.. ill post some before and after pics after I get them in!

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Such an easy install and the color is way better then the halogens, now I wanna put a set in the Fogs!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,269 Posts
TRS HID (AKA Morimoto), vs. Morimoto 2 stroke LED.
What kind of HID kits before? Mini H1, FX-R or did you just put HIDs in factory projectors.
The 2 stroke LEDs are in your factory projectors now.
Can you give a review of which system was the king of output. Brightness and light pattern evenness.
I can't see an electrical arc/mini-lightning bolt ever being beaten by a diode.

·
Registered
2016 ISM Outback LTD, 20mm RSB, Draw-Tite 76227 Hitch
96 Posts
I'm actually rather curious about the throw, and evenness of the brightness - LED kits like these tend to leave a lot to be desired in terms of light throw and evenness of light, and I'm wondering if Morimoto has improved on those issues.

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is the relative brightness to the halogens? Any flickering issues?
brighter then the halogen, no flicker they have an anti-flicker adapter

TRS HID (AKA Morimoto), vs. Morimoto 2 stroke LED.
What kind of HID kits before? Mini H1, FX-R or did you just put HIDs in factory projectors.
The 2 stroke LEDs are in your factory projectors now.
Can you give a review of which system was the king of output. Brightness and light pattern evenness.
I can't see an electrical arc/mini-lightning bolt ever being beaten by a diode.
I didn't have HIDs before, I had factory halogens.. I wanted something brigher with out having to install a relay and ballasts.The 2 stroke LEDs are in the factory projectors now

I'm actually rather curious about the throw, and evenness of the brightness - LED kits like these tend to leave a lot to be desired in terms of light throw and evenness of light, and I'm wondering if Morimoto has improved on those issues.
so far they work great, but I've only gotten to drive with them Monday morning when I was heading to the airport catching a flight out of town... I was also driving in the city with street lights so I couldn't get a real good feel on the throw, ill have to find a dark road to really tell.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,269 Posts
Post 7: "I didn't have HIDs before, I had factory halogens.."
Post 1: "I’ve had multiple HID kits from TRS (and loved them & the warranty)" Those were the ones I was talking about

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post 7: "I didn't have HIDs before, I had factory halogens.."
Post 1: "I’ve had multiple HID kits from TRS (and loved them & the warranty)" Those were the ones I was talking about
ohhhh, Sorry for the confusion i miss understood the question..

I've had several TRS HID kits (on other vehicles) in the past that's why wanted to use them again.
When I installed the LED headlight kit, the OB had halogens from the factory.

I just didn't know if anyone had tested out this Kit before, the LED stuff is NEW to me HID has been the standard for years IMO :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had these a while ago and they were nice while they lasted but after about 3 months 2 of the LEDs would periodically turn on and off. I tried contacting TRS a few times but never heard back so just chucked them in the garbage and went back to the stock halogens.

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had these a while ago and they were nice while they lasted but after about 3 months 2 of the LEDs would periodically turn on and off. I tried contacting TRS a few times but never heard back so just chucked them in the garbage and went back to the stock halogens.

That's so odd, the kit has a 3 year warranty, and the website has "LIVE chat" now too, two years ago I had a relay of there's fill with water and fail it was covered.. I would for sure contact them again!

·
Registered
2015 Outback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you happen to have an update for the beam pattern at night? Thanks.

the Beam pattern IMO is great, I'm very satisfied with the output and the spread of the light. I do believe HIDs would have a farther reach, But im a city boy so I haven't been on any back roads to see how far the LEDs really reach.

So basically

Pros:
-plug and play install. (no relays required)
-Instant on! (no warm up time)
-6K color
-TRS Warranty

Cons:
-they don't have the same reach as HID
-they cost like $120

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I'm considering these H11 LED Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 for my 2016 outback and wondering if anyone has tried the new 2.0 lamps. I do a lot of back road driving and spend a few weeks each year driving roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway will they have the reach I'm looking for. As we age we need extra brightness I'm finding.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 touring
123 Posts
I put the 2.0 kit in my 16 back in November. Love them. As above the beam pattern is same as halogen just brighter on ground. I was worried about light scatter but honestly there is nothing. I love them. They look factory. Took about 5 minutes to install. Well worth it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I put the 2.0 kit in my 16 back in November. Love them. As above the beam pattern is same as halogen just brighter on ground. I was worried about light scatter but honestly there is nothing. I love them. They look factory. Took about 5 minutes to install. Well worth it.

Thanks for the reply,

So they are quite a bit brighter. How do they throw light any further then the OEM bulbs?

Old inquiring mind needs to know..:nerd:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts