Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
The 360 is still the coolest thing Subaru has produced. If you see one in person, it will really put into perspective how big new cars are. They make EA81 Subarus look big.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I recall seeing them sputtering around Oakland Ca during the late 60's.
IIRC, dealers in the SF Bay Area could not find buyers for them and they sat in storage lots for a few years. Subaru ended up reloading them on a ship and pushed them overboard into the Pacific.
Wish I had one now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Subaru does NOT have to watch its back for VW. VW's are the worst cars on the face of the earth. When I went to the dealership to look for the Subaru I just bought and the salesman was trying to push me toward the VW's and I said **** no. They can use the design if they want, unless they make a car that won't break down every two seconds than no car maker has to worry about them.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Subaru 360 is a nifty little car! I had no idea they made something like that.

Reminds me of the BMW Isetta:

And if the "Most Unsafe Car" was expanded to the UK as well, I'd vote for the Reliant Robin:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Once called "Most Unsafe Car in America." It came with a whopping 25-horsepower engine. Subaru has come a ways.

Are Subarus the best cars money can buy? - Yahoo! Autos
...those and the old VW beetles. They were a death trap in a serious collision...just look at the YouTube video of one in a crash test. I drove three of those things whie I was in university...glad I didn't know then what I know now.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
A minor inaccuracy I noticed:

They mention Subaru's new boxer (presumably the FB) as the first entirely new engine they've made in 20 years.

How about the EZ30D? That was 2001 (probably a bit earlier in Japan) and it wasn't a carryover from one of their other 6s, nor was it the EJ25 with two extra cylinders slapped on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nate Wade dealership in Salt Lake has one of these 360's in pristine condition in their showroom. Pretty funny --see: cool-- little cars. It was sitting in front of the gen4 OB that I sat in for the first time that made me realize that that was going to be my next car.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
A friend of mine (former amb. to the U.N. from my home country) had a Subaru 360 back in late 60's in New York as a "company" car. We had tons of fun with it, inlcuding a trip to Woodstock, where we would compete with VW buses there.. Great memories! (we did not inhale! LOL)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
jogosub, AFAIK Yugo never made a three-wheeled car, and the Robin was produced in early 1970s while the first Yugo 45 came in the late 1970s.

Not to mention Reliant is a British company and Yugo's were made in Serbia..

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
You are right - the car is a 3 wheeler... just noticed that. I know Yugo did not make 3 wheelers and I am just noticing that Reliant's picture is a 3 wheeler car ... I never heard of Reliant before... my bad!
Also, correct me if I am wrong, I thought Yugo was made in Yugoslavia though... "Serbia" as such emerged after Yugoslavia fell apart....if we want to be precise about that....we don't say Audis, etc. are made in Bavaria - but made in Germany, right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The single door Isetta was many times mistaken as three-wheel car but I believe it was actually a four wheeler, the tires in the back were very close. I agree the 360 is collectors item.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Trivia factoid about three wheelers. They are legally considered motorcycles and do not need air bags, crash safety testing and seat belts the four wheelers need.
The Corbin Sparrow is one example I can think of.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
The single door Isetta was many times mistaken as three-wheel car but I believe it was actually a four wheeler, the tires in the back were very close. I agree the 360 is collectors item.
Heinkel also made one of these, a three-wheeler. Looked a lot like the Isetta. I do remember seeing one of these somewhere in the far past.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
17 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing