Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone considered using the Motegi M142 CS8 wheel on a 2020+ Outback? It’s a 17x7 +40mm offset, load rating of 1675lbs and weighs around 21lbs each. They seem like they would work with a 235/65R17 tire. I’ve been comparing these to the Method MR503s, but at less that half the price, the Motegi’s seem worth a shot. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Marcus

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
Sounds fine to me! If you're going off road the extra sidewall is nice but if you don't go off road I think the 18" wheels are better. Also consider overall diameter of your spare tire - the 225/65R17 would match your existing spare better but the 235 I think will fit in the spare tire well if you get all 5 of the same tire - and if you're going off-road you want a full size spare anyways.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey @SilverOnyx,

I do plan to go off road, so was thinking 17” wheels along with the little extra diameter from the 235s would be a benefit.

Do you think the weight savings of 4.5 lbs per corner would be significant enough to justify spending a ton more on lighter wheels? I do kinda think the idea of a lighter overal off-road wheel set outperforming the stock on-road set would be really cool.

As for tires, I’m thinking the Geolandar G015s

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
Hey @SilverOnyx,

I do plan to go off road, so was thinking 17” wheels along with the little extra diameter from the 235s would be a benefit.

Do you think the weight savings of 4.5 lbs per corner would be significant enough to justify spending a ton more on lighter wheels? I do kinda think the idea of a lighter overal off-road wheel set outperforming the stock on-road set would be really cool.

As for tires, I’m thinking the Geolander G015s
I don't think it's worth the extra money and lightness is more for on-road than off-road (lower speed) performance. If the budget is tight and it makes getting that 5th full size wheel and tire less painful then I wouldn't hesitate for the Motegis. The Geolander is tried and true but the new darlings are the Wildpeak Trails. I don't have experience with either.

Check the weight of each tire size - for some reason I think someone found that Wildpeak AT3W was actually lighter than the trails in certain sizes. o_O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts