Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the link of the problems I've been having with the current engine. I have a 2000 2.5 outback, and I found 2 motors to replace the current one. one is a 2.5, but is quite out of my price range, the other is a 2.0 , and is more affordable to me. I asked about the 2.0, and they say that it is compatible, i want to make sure it truly is compatible before paying for it, and what should i expect to pay for instalation on a job like this? thanks for your help everyone!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
I would look some more. 2.0 will make the car a gutless wonder. I wouldnt go smaller then a 2.2. Are you sure thats a 2.0 and not a 2.2?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Must be JDM or something, as 2.0 is not available for that year here in the states for MY 2000. Only 2.2 and 2.5.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i think, most 2.0 are turbo engines. this is not an easy swap. it is doable , but not for a beginner or some one on a budget.

did you look at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close.

you can use a 00 - 02 engine, direct swap. or a 03 - 04 engine with a little work.

·
Registered
2000 Outback
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really max is 1800-2k i'd prefer to stay as low as possible, but i might not even be able to do it for a while just because i don't have a lot of income, me and my wife are both college students that get loan money to survive until i graduate to get a better job, she still has years in school lol. but i just can't afford the engine and the work [unless the shop that ****** up in the first place would pay for the labor, but that would be a miracle] i've found a few engines between 1100 and 1600 in my area, mileage varies, and some are at yard, so i'm thinking on seeing what they would charge to swap it in and if they offer any warranties on them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Leave yourself room for new head gaskets (six star head gaskets maybe read a lot of good reviews) timing belt ect plus labor. Most junk yards will deal on price or lose business there is always a better deal out there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts