Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the motor seize on my 2014 outback 2.5i with california emissions. i swapped with a 2.5i with federal emmisions out of a 2014 legacy. it will not start. i was wondering if their is any thing different between the motors that i would need to swap over to make them compatible or if computers are different. just trying to figure out whats stopping it from starting. i used the federal emissions wiring harnesss intake manifold and everything else that came on the motor.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Won't crank, cranks but won't fire, cranks and fires but won't remain running, which?

Was the donor engine out of a California emissions Legacy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cranks but wont fire. and no the legacy has federal emmissions not california. the 6th vin code is C on the outback and the donor is vin code A

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thunder cracks, children scream... yada yada, I'm here.

I'll admit first, I'm not 110% versed on the minutia of the Cali vs. Federal FB-series. However, I do know some facts:

You should not have a no-start issue with use a Fed-spec engine/intake/harness into a Cali-spec car. Looking at the pin-outs for the important stuff (cam/crank signals, terminal locations, etc), it's the same. The engine is interchangable (same exact number) from Legacy to Outback, 13-14.

Double check your connections: crank sensor, cam sensors, main quick-disconnect. Are you getting the CEL turning on with ignition power? If not, could be a bad main connection or blown fuse.

Are you using the original keys? Sometimes replacements for long-inactive systems can lock-down and need a battery disconnect to reset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright ill double check all of that when i get home. and i have pushed the remote start while under the hood and heard the electronics on the motor kick on and prime the injectors but just turns over and doesnt start. and yes original keys and i had the battery disconnected the whole time during the swap and just re connected it before attempting to start it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i figured it out and im an idiot haha. i clocked the crank position plate wrong. so it wasnt getting the right crank position reading. shes all up and running now. and figured out the o2 were bad before hand and had the wrong antifreeze which lead to all the oil consumption.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
waldo1993
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing