Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently clicked on a Subaru Ad. featuring DOGS and Sausages.

Featured was a Forester. It appeared to have a motorized tailgate.

Is a motorized tailgate made for either Forester or Outback?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
The 2014 Forester does have a motorized lift gate. I verified this at the auto show. The 2013 Outback does not, but I am sure it will be incorporated into the next generation. Also it does not appear that the Forester's auto lift gate has a feature to detect a blockage, as when I pulled the gate up with my hand as it was automatically closing at the auto show, it did not stop or even slow at all.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
We have a motorized liftgate on our Ford Flex. When we bought it I was thinking "I don't need that, what a waste"....now after having it for 3 years I love it! It's a great feature and I'm glad that Subaru will be offering it in the future.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
I wish my '11 had one... I didn't realize how nice it was to have one in my wife's RX until I got the OB. I frequently leave the it up and have to come back to the car to close it.

A foot sensor like the one in the Escape would be really cool.

First world problems, right?

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
I can see the complaint threads about the motorized tailgate coming to a forum near you...:19:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
After renting a Chrysler Town & Country minivan for a week long trip, I can honestly say that I loved the power lift gate. I would certainly have bought that option with the Outback, had it been available.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I'm really torn about the idea of the Ford Footloose tailgate system... on the one hand, I have occasionally carried something out to my car and wished that it would magically open up to take my burden. On the other hand, I think people look positively ridiculous hopping around on one leg behind their cars with their arms full.

Can't wait to hear about people who accidentally try it with the wrong car because they can't see over all the crap they're carrying.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
We have a motorized liftgate on our Ford Flex. When we bought it I was thinking "I don't need that, what a waste"....now after having it for 3 years I love it! It's a great feature and I'm glad that Subaru will be offering it in the future.
Same here when we bought our 2007 Sienna... love that power liftgate, (and power sliding doors too, but subaru won't have this anytime soon)

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
The one thing I would change about my Veracruz is the power liftgate. Completely unnecessary and a liability if you carry the key fob in your pocket. Something hits the button while you're sitting watching TV and the lift gate will open against the garage door. Heaven forbid you don't notice it before you open the garage door.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I can see the complaint threads about the motorized tailgate coming to a forum near you...:19:
"2014 Power Liftgate HORRIBLE"

LOL! :D

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
I'm really torn about the idea of the Ford Footloose tailgate system... on the one hand, I have occasionally carried something out to my car and wished that it would magically open up to take my burden. On the other hand, I think people look positively ridiculous hopping around on one leg behind their cars with their arms full.

Can't wait to hear about people who accidentally try it with the wrong car because they can't see over all the crap they're carrying.
I'm waiting for the first lawsuit from the person who falls why trying to hop on one leg while carrying something.

They will claim that Ford should have known that carrying something and using a foot to open a door was a bad idea.

I really hope they lose the suit, but nothing surprises me anymore.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
The one thing I would change about my Veracruz is the power liftgate. Completely unnecessary and a liability if you carry the key fob in your pocket. Something hits the button while you're sitting watching TV and the lift gate will open against the garage door. Heaven forbid you don't notice it before you open the garage door.
We've had my wife's RX for four years and haven't opened the power liftgate once by mistake. You have to press and hold the button (which takes more pressure than the lock/unlock buttons) for a few seconds before it opens.

In fact, I can't remember a time where any of the buttons on any of our remotes has been pushed while in a pocket. Seems like an unlikely-enough event that I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
It happened twice to me and dozens of times to others on the Hyundai forum. Happened to my sister with her MDX. Maybe the Lexus RX fob is a better design, which if its anything like the one for our ES, I'm sure it is.

The fob goes on the counter when I get home now. Too bad, like to have all keys on me at all times. They have an off/on button for the power liftgate, but only disables the interior button. Poor execution by Hyundai.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I bet within 10 years you will see motorized doors as an option. lol
Minivans already have motorized sliding side doors.
As for motorized hinged side doors, I can predict future threads will be about the ginormous door dings caused by the motorized doors.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
133 Posts
I must have opened the reargate window of my 4Runner at least a half dozen times by accidently bumping that button with the fob in my pocket. First few times I had no idea why that back window was open, and once was totally pissed because it had rained hard, and it was soaking wet back there. By the 4th time I knew it was my fault. After the 6th I disconnected that button as I almost never needed to open that window remotely.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
"2014 Power Liftgate HORRIBLE"

LOL! :D
It makes a creaky noise!
It closes too fast!
It closes too slow!
My dog doesn't like it!
It is cold outside!
I sneezed and it didn't reply with "bless you"!
I traded in my 2014 because I hated it so much!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
If your willing to pay for it and don't get ticked off when it breaks or as listed above opens when your not aware of it being opened by mistake. Then by all means go for it. However if subaru only offers it on the limited model and you can't purchase the limited model without it I predict that premium sales numbers go up and lots of after market leather seats and audio systems being installed in the premium models.

The more crap you have like this on a car like the OB the more stuff breaks and the more complaints you get. Not to mention the folks who really do use their outbacks like SUV's will find that added electronics and motorized crap like the hatch thing is just more junk that breaks after rattling up an down logging roads and dusty dirt roads.

The Mini van that never leaves pavement and is more or less a vehicle of convenience for hands free entry and exiting of many people sure why not? A luxury vehicle like a Lexus RX sure why not? But an economy wagon with a rough exterior that in many cases really does see lots of rough use - no it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Besides if you want a power lift gate a used RX is probably going to offer lots of other fancy puff pieces that would make you a happier car owner than the Subaru would. LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts