Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm adding this to the forum just because when I searched for similar ideas here in the forum and on the internet I didn't see many ideas (I probably missed a bunch)

The pics are hopefully self explanatory.

This was more an exercise in concept, using what I had at hand, to be honest I'm not super happy with some of the "fabrication" it would be neater if I had a band saw, drill press and used more rivets (I may go to my brother house and use his stuff, just rebuild it)

So far it seems to serve it's purpose, but we'll see

Pics in a few minutes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some lights might have issues with clearance of the bumper if you wanted to mount a set on the underside of the bracket, which is how I would have preferred to mount those light (Hanging under) I could use tabs, I woulnt stick the bracket out much further than that though because I'd be concerned about vibration

I think it's probably stable enough for spot beams

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had those LED lights on a light bar for a lifted VW Jetta TDI I recently sold to get a 2012 OB 3.6R Limited. They're pretty good, I would be SUPER worried about someone backing-up into them and destroying the grill. Day after I installed them on my jetta, someone hit them enough to move them on the bar. Everything was good, I readjusted them back to normal and I was good to go. If they were mounted to plastic, I think the plastic would have shattered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A big (too big) change to the setup

I had ordered these Hella 700's a couple days ago (online from Pep Boys of all places, had them shipped to the local store to get around Amazons Corona delay)

Put them on tonight, short drive to see if the bracket was stable enough for bigger driving lights too, you can see some jumping of the light in the distance, they are not going to fall off around town and on the highway but it might be an annoyance on a washboard road

BTW Pep boys had these 700's online for $50, thought that was a good price

·
Registered
2013 3.6r limited, 2013 2.5 pzev limited with SAP
85 Posts
What paint did you use on the grill? I'm digging the flat black because it matches the ground effects and bumper. How difficult was it to remove the grill?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rustoleum Gray Auto Primer then Rustoleum Black Semi Gloss

Plastidip is probably a better alternative

Thankfully the Grill is very easy to remove

The Plastic Fasteners along the Top are a breeze to remove and reinstall and have proved very durable

There's a pretty good You Tube Vid that (just google it) that covers removing the grill on a 2014, I noted that mine had 2 additional screws not covered in the video (?)

If you don't already have one, a palm ratchet is ideal for removing the two sets of screws (pic attached)

There are two clips on the bottom of the grill that engage and disengage easily as well, they seem durable but I'm very careful not to break them, that would not be good

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

I took the Hella 700's off, this just isn't a stable enough platform for that large a light, more an issue of physical size than weight I think, just too much distance between the mounting point and the light source, lots of beam shake and really hard to adjust properly, again not a stable enough platform

:ROFLMAO:

I put the 4" LED Floods back on and it's still great for that application

Juuust in case anyone cares

:geek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts