Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone pondered (or seen anyone who has) mounting somr low profile off road lights on the forward crossbar? How would you run the wires? out the top of the door? (front or rear?)

I'm thinking of something along the lines that could stay mounted on the bar and still retain the ability to swing and stay stream lined when not in use.

Anyone with ideas feel free to post, may make it a project in the spring.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,026 Posts
It would work. You would have to consider the wind noise that you would get at highway speeds though. It would be right above your head.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
oh, i misread, i thought you wanted them in front. nevermind. someone fabricate and make a how to thread with a mesh grill and mount driving lights behind it.

the front overhang of the outback is absurd, why would you want to add to it? most people are assholes, mounting driving lights externally makes them much more susceptible to theft.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Here is my solution.

Vince

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Yes I get big-projection (I work in the middle of nowhere and I use them offroad very-regularly, my OB is my Oilfield-service vehicle), they are adjustable .

I had them (Rigid Industries lights) installed but yes, they are mounted to the steel (they did not remove the nose, the lights were mounted with the car on a lift).

Vince

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
I've got a friend with an STI that mounted a set of Rigid duellys behind his grill. Works out great, they are hidden and out of the way and work fine.

I went with the full brushbar because I wanted a brush bar. It didn't impact the approach angle in any meaningfull way, the bumper will hit on any driveable approach before the bar will. But if all you want is lights, you have the right idea, mount them to the bumper beam.

As bars on the roof goes, I'm working on mounting some work lights to my roof basket right now. I intend to run the power out the back above the hatch. I figure it can run it through the length of the car, and then run the power out the latch system for the kids seats. I'll put a disconnect on it so I can tuck it back in there when I don't have the basket on the car. I could just put a cigarette lighter plug in the end of it and plug it in the back when I want lights on. But I would rather have a switch on the inside of the car that I can turn them on and off with. These are not driving lights, they are 4 15w LED floodlights.

I'm sure that I'll post pictures when I finally completed, and I'll include a link or put the picture in this thread.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Here is my solution.

Vince
I LIKE THAT!! I have two pairs of Hella FF55 waiting for install. Pendant mounted to the metal bumper, recessed. Yours look awsome.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! The Rigid lights are awesome (and American made!!).

I had a lightbar on the 2007 and on the 2009 Foresters but I did not want to lengthen the overhang even more on the OB so I went recessed, if I can find a grill that I like I am planning on installing more lighting behind the new grill (and installing "real" horns).

Vince

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
They are "wide beam" (big light close to the ground is what I wanted, I work in the Desert and there is a LOT of wildlife running around!).

No pictures, they are AMAZINGLY BRIGHT!! (WAY, WAY too bright for public-road-use!).

Vince

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
I don't doubt their brightness. I've got a buddy with a highly modified JK Wrangler with a pair of spot dually's on his a-pillar. They're remarkably bright, durable, and American!

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
They came with them, he just screwed the mounts on with an angled drill. I'll see if I can get down there to get a picture.

Vince

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,026 Posts
oh, i misread, i thought you wanted them in front. nevermind. someone fabricate and make a how to thread with a mesh grill and mount driving lights behind it.

the front overhang of the outback is absurd, why would you want to add to it? most people are assholes, mounting driving lights externally makes them much more susceptible to theft.
...lol...I guess my avatar says it all...:D. I put lock nuts on mine...

I do like your idea of putting them behind the grill. It would certainly get rid of my extruded front end. Any luck on that grill you previously mentioned?

Those rigid industry lights look great. I need something really bright to light up the road ahead in order to see moose. What kind of distance do they light up...far?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
I've got a friend with an STI that mounted a set of Rigid duellys behind his grill. Works out great, they are hidden and out of the way and work fine.

I went with the full brushbar because I wanted a brush bar. It didn't impact the approach angle in any meaningfull way, the bumper will hit on any driveable approach before the bar will. But if all you want is lights, you have the right idea, mount them to the bumper beam.

As bars on the roof goes, I'm working on mounting some work lights to my roof basket right now. I intend to run the power out the back above the hatch. I figure it can run it through the length of the car, and then run the power out the latch system for the kids seats. I'll put a disconnect on it so I can tuck it back in there when I don't have the basket on the car. I could just put a cigarette lighter plug in the end of it and plug it in the back when I want lights on. But I would rather have a switch on the inside of the car that I can turn them on and off with. These are not driving lights, they are 4 15w LED floodlights.

I'm sure that I'll post pictures when I finally completed, and I'll include a link or put the picture in this thread.
Work lights. For now, they are attached to a cigarette lighter plug, I have a switch, but need to install the switchblade and run wires. These are diffused floods, not spot or driving lights. I'll have to see how they work at night when it gets dark...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts