Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since owning the car (1200 miles driven), the average MPG is consistently around 14-18 in town. This matches up with the fuel tank as I will use a whole tank of gas up in 300 miles. The fuel gauge will read 3/4 full the day after I fill the tank and after 50 miles driven will show just over 1/2 tank left (with 170 miles to fill). I do not leave the car on when filling.

What is the problem? I have taken the car in twice and they reset the computer and discharge the battery overnight and say it is fixed, but it is not. I have done the MPG experiment 3 times running a full tank out in 300 miles. That would be equivalent to 17 MPG. How can this be correct? What needs to be done?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
249 Posts
4 or 6 cylinders? This might be normal if you have a 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jakemccoy

·
Premium Member
Bought a 2018 Outback Limited 2.5i 50th Anniversary Special Edition, 2/17/2018
29 Posts
my fuel gauge doesn't go up when I add gas!

Recently I did some short highway trips. Since I wanted to see how high MPG I could get, I filled up the tank before each 100 mile trip (going and return). Each of the 3 fill-ups (including the local driving at my destination, which was its own "tank"), the fuel gauge did not go up. Pump clicked off 2-3 times, get in the car and start it, fuel gauge showing only 7/8 tank. It is as if the fuel level sensor is not being "commanded" to report the actual "current" level. It goes down as I drive but it isn't going up when I add gas. Prior to this it operated normally.

What is going on? What do I have to do to force the gauge to work properly?

I don't think I have left the accessory power on while refueling, but that has never had any ill effect in other cars I have owned.

Perhaps it doesn't like when you only add a couple of gallons? I normally wait until 1/4 tank remaining to fill-up. I will see if that resolves the issue, but I won;t burn up that much gas for 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
jcoop717,

Some thoughts.

The combination meter (speedo/tach/fuel gauge/etc.) has a self diagnostic function to find any internal faults with any of the gauges, but it is non repairable. Any faults within and the FSM says replace the entire unit. It used to be that you could replace the stepper motors to the individual gauges years ago, but not anymore.

The gas tank has two fuel level sending units, one on each side of the tank. The Main one has the fuel pump as well, and the other just a second sending unit. Typically the readings of both are averaged and the dash gauge shows the level. That said, I'd lean towards one of the sending units is not up to par.

Since its not something you want to dig into while under warranty .. I'd be finding another dealership to get a second opinion, without letting them know that you've had it to another dealership first. Letting them know up front may taint their findings. You might get lucky and get a resolution. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.