Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that are currently riding on Toyo Open Country AT3, Falken Wildpeak AT Trail, or Yokohama Geolandar G015, what tiresc are you running & what’s you gas mileage???
I purchased a ‘21 Touring XT and these are the 3 tires I’m considering upgrading to…. I just purchased some 17” WRX wheels, so I think I’m gonna go with 235/65R17 tires. I live in Phoenix, mostly highway driving but also drive occasionally on trails and several times a year go up north in the snow. Recommendations needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
134 Posts
I'm running Toyo Open Country AT III - 225-65r17 on Motegi wheels. I saved about 5 pounds in wheel tire weight over stock. Road noise is considerably louder than stock but grip on dry and wet pavement is greatly increased. I haven't had them in the snow yet but the stock dueller's on my last outback did plenty fine in some mild snow so I have no doubt that these 3 peak rated tires are going to be well above those. To answer your question on my 3.6r I'm averaging 20.6 with mostly city driving, like probably 70 percent city, 30 percent highway. I have a long trip coming up in 2 weeks so I will report back with updated highway mileage when I get a chance to really stretch her out.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
108 Posts
I've got the Falken Wildpeak A/T trails (235/65R17) on Motegi MR118 17x8
I averaged 26.7mpg on a recent trip from San Diego to Kings Canyon National Park with my Thule box on top and carrying 800lbs of camping gear including myself, wife, and kid.
Cruise control at 65mph I got 28.1mpg from San Diego to Orange County. The Motegi's are pretty light, but I'm still 1lb heavier per corner than say stock Onyx wheel with Yokohama Avid Ascend (not the oem tires).
I think 235/65R17 is a good compromise, though I'm biased.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 235/65R17 on the stock rims on my '11 Outback 2.5. HUGE improvement over the Contis the previous owner had. Averaging 27.5-28 mpg, nice ride on dry, far better traction in snow.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5 Pzev
74 Posts
I've got the Falken Wildpeak A/T trails (235/65R17) on Motegi MR118 17x8
I averaged 26.7mpg on a recent trip from San Diego to Kings Canyon National Park with my Thule box on top and carrying 800lbs of camping gear including myself, wife, and kid.
Cruise control at 65mph I got 28.1mpg from San Diego to Orange County. The Motegi's are pretty light, but I'm still 1lb heavier per corner than say stock Onyx wheel with Yokohama Avid Ascend (not the oem tires).
I think 235/65R17 is a good compromise, though I'm biased.
You must have a factory freak those are some unheard of numbers with your stated weight

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
108 Posts
You must have a factory freak those are some unheard of numbers with your stated weight
In the city on short trips I get 21mpg, my wife brings it down to 18mpg with her led foot.
I took it easy on this trip to see what I could get.
This was with Costco 87 gas, followed by Chevron 87.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
147 Posts
For those that are currently riding on Toyo Open Country AT3, Falken Wildpeak AT Trail, or Yokohama Geolandar G015, what type of gas mileage are you currently getting???
I purchased a ‘21 Touring XT and these are the 3 tires I’m considering upgrading to…. I just purchased some 17” WRX wheels, so I think I’m gonna go with 235/65R17 tires. I live in Phoenix, mostly highway driving but also drive occasionally on trails and several times a year go up north in the snow. Recommendations needed. Thanks!
I will have to get back to you because I just installed the extended rolo roof rack which CUTS into mpg from what I've read. My geos are quiet at 80 mph but now the basket whistle is now surely evident.
I also have a 2" lift so my numbers are going to be way off from stock.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Touring, 2017 Impreza Premium w/ moonroof and eyesight
43 Posts
I've also been complaining between these tires in this size. I currently have 245/60/18 goodyear assurance on oem limited/touring rims in a '17 touring 2.5 with a Thule roof box. I'm averaging around 22 combined, give or take. The car gets a good mix of city/hwy. Some tanks more city some more hwy. We will be setting out from WI to SD and CO and back next week for 2wks I can report back after.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited
140 Posts
I replaced my stock wheels with 215/65/R17 on BRZ wheels. I chose that combo to decrease unsprung weight andincrease sidewall height a bit (for the kind off road use I am using them for).
I'm getting 20-23 mpg mixed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are concerned with mileage it's best not to go up a size (assuming the 235 is slightly larger than stock?)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes, 235's are larger

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just got back from my trip, 2600 miles in a week of mostly highway and Midwest driving, so not a lot of stop and go. Car did great, no issues, tires definitely howled on the highway. Best MPG was 25.7, so not fully advertised mileage from the EPA. I was doing well over the limit on the way out and about 5 over all the way back, I'll take the hit having the bigger motor, it was much easier in the mountains to pass people and the motor was less labored climbing the long hills. I am glad I got the 3.6 over the 2.5 I used to have. The tires were great, Toyo really did a nice job with the Open Country's, they have a 60 or 65k tread warranty and I haven't had them in the snow yet but I am happy with them so far. I would imagine a highway tire at 70 in the flats I would likely get upwards of 30 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
125 Posts
OBW running OEM 17 x 7.0-inch wheels and Yokohama 225/65 R17 Geolandars (A/T G015 102T 600 A B).
Usual rural highway + in town = 24 mpg
Recent trip: 1 day high speed interstate = 25 and 24 mpg on two fill ups; 1 day rural highway = 26 mpg; 150 miles of mountain/canyon roads @ 25 - 40 mph = 29.7 MPG

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
456 Posts
I have Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails in stock size (225/60/R18) on OEM wheels on my 2020 Touring XT, including a full-sized spare.

Per the on-board computer, I'm currently at 25.6 mpg combined after 15821 miles, so fairly close to the official combined EPA estimate of 26 mpg.

Frankly, I expected to come nowhere near the EPA estimate because:
(a) I'm running heavier tires (plus the heavier full-sized spare tire/wheel combo); and
(b) At least 3000-4000 of my highway miles were driven with a 16 ft long, 65 lb canoe strapped on top of my Outback, which adds significant aerodynamic drag and weight, plus probably at least another 80lbs of camping gear/food in the cargo area.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails in stock size (225/60/R18) on OEM wheels on my 2020 Touring XT, including a full-sized spare.

Per the on-board computer, I'm currently at 25.6 mpg combined after 15821 miles, so fairly close to the official combined EPA estimate of 26 mpg.

Frankly, I expected to come nowhere near the EPA estimate because:
(a) I'm running heavier tires (plus the heavier full-sized spare tire/wheel combo); and
(b) At least 3000-4000 of my highway miles were driven with a 16 ft long, 65 lb canoe strapped on top of my Outback, which adds significant aerodynamic drag and weight, plus probably at least another 80lbs of camping gear/food in the cargo area.
Sounds like Subaru finally figured it out and made a car that can get up and go and get decent mileage, without being sport oriented. That's good to hear that you can get great mileage, certainly better than my 22.6 over the last 6k miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts