Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you reset the average MPG reading on the front display? I want to reset it each fill-up so I get a fresh reading each time if possible? Or does it reset on its own after so much time?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Press and hold the Trip button. Resetting the trip resets the MGP read out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know - thanks!

I thought they were independent because of the two separate push sticks on the dash.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I discovered there are actually two independent ave mpg values computed - one for Trip A and another for Trip B. When you reset one of these, it does not change the other value. So I reset Trip A with every fill-up, and leave Trip B alone so that it shows overall mileage for the year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting - good information!

I only reset trip A as well because trip B has never been reset before, so the 10ths match up exactly with the odometer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the trip meter auto-resets to 0 at like 2500 miles or so.
I'm not sure how it is for Subarus equipped with EyeSight but that's not the case on my 2012 Subaru Forester XT. I have ~7700 miles on it since new and I have not touched the trip B meter yet (and probably won't ever). 21.3 average MPG but that's because I floor it when I want.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I'm not sure how it is for Subarus equipped with EyeSight but that's not the case on my 2012 Subaru Forester XT. I have ~7700 miles on it since new and I have not touched the trip B meter yet (and probably won't ever). 21.3 average MPG but that's because I floor it when I want.
Hmm. Mine seems to have reset. It's possible I just forgot I reset it. We do have very different displays though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question regarding the MPG readout. I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5I limited. The readout had been at 30 in city and 33 highway until Nov 6, 2012 when I had the recall WQC39 done. That day my mileage readout plummeted to 24. The recall was engine reprogramming to turn on light on overheating. Dealer says recall isn't the reason, but may winter gasoline (live in Ct). I didn't think there could be such a drop just for winter fuel changeover. Has anyone else experienced this happening?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
^ I didn't have the reprogramming, but winter fuel can put quite a hit in your MPG. Also, do you let the car warm up at all?

and I left my B alone, but at 10k it essentially rolls over, as it can only show 9999 miles. You lose the tenths at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just hit 1,000 miles today and I didn't loose the tenths - must be a 2013 difference :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Just hit 1,000 miles today and I didn't loose the tenths - must be a 2013 difference :)
ooohhh, fancy lights and all ;)

Yep, looks like they updated it in 2013. Let us know what happens at 10k :29:

·
Registered
2011 Impreza OBS
261 Posts
Most accurate way of keeping track of mileage is not using the mpg meter, though. I keep track of mine in an iPhone app as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ooohhh, fancy lights and all ;)

Yep, looks like they updated it in 2013. Let us know what happens at 10k :29:
Just hit 10k today sitting in traffic and sadly it reset to 0. The MPG also reset inside the MID - oh well was hoping to keep a "lifetime MPG" rating going :17:

Aren't you impressed I remembered to reply at 10k? :headslap:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm impressed! Thanks for the update.

My Forester just turned 77,777 and I snapped a pick with 777.7 on the ODO ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winter Gas

I have a question regarding the MPG readout. I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5I limited. The readout had been at 30 in city and 33 highway until Nov 6, 2012 when I had the recall WQC39 done. That day my mileage readout plummeted to 24. The recall was engine reprogramming to turn on light on overheating. Dealer says recall isn't the reason, but may winter gasoline (live in Ct). I didn't think there could be such a drop just for winter fuel changeover. Has anyone else experienced this happening?
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT
My gas mileage goes way down in the winter here in Utah. I think they change the formulation of the gas to keep the air cleaner; I think if they left it alone and we were getting better gas mileage it would work just as well.
Same with ethanol in the gas; if I can get clear gasoline I get a bit better mileage.
Mileage also goes way down if I drive 75-80 mph on the freeway, 25-27 mpg, whereas I can get 34-36 mpg if I drive 65. I Average 30-31 mpg in town using cruise control whenever possible.
Luckily I'm retired and can drive slower.

·
Premium Member
06 Outback Limited
36 Posts
To echo BigAlpha from a few posts up, i have not found the Subaru calculated MPG to be very accurate. My displayed MPG is regularly 1.3 to 1.8 MPG more optimistic that it really is. I use fuelly.com and their iPhone app to track mine

Here is over 20,000 miles of tracking on my 2006 Outback. The display has been high on every single tank, it has never been right on target or low.

Big Girl (Subaru Outback) | Fuelly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes - something fishy on my 2015 Forester as well. Went from 24 something new to 21.9 MPG - dealer claimed winter (ethanol) gas. Was 21.9 all winter and now all of a sudden jumped to 22.2 - oddly without going through 22.0 and 22.1 averages (I didn't miss it - it all happened within a day or two). With roughly 1400 miles on the trip odometer at 21.9 MPG, such a change in the average suggests that current MPG (few miles at 22.2 vs 1400 at 21.9) must be really good!! How's that possible?
Jack

1 - 20 of 20 Posts