Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,276 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way because I know you are well intentioned but this has been posted half a dozen times already. Welcome to the forum - what car do you have?

Reactions: 1werd

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,645 Posts
Mr. Subaru on YouTube is not an expert on oil filters despite the fact that this video has gotten a lot of circulation around the internet. Consider this video for "infotainment" purposes, not something based in technical expertise.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,276 Posts
Mr Subaru is a real mechanic but it's just that casual visual inspection of a cut open filter doesn't tell the whole story and can be misleading. Someone who does actual filter testing is making a series of videos and we're waiting for the third and final video to drop where he tests the micron ratings of the filters.

·
5,645 Posts
ive reached out to him on a few issues and he has was knowledgeable on the issue.
I've said it elsewhere multiple times that he is knowledge on many things related to Subaru but oil filters is not an area of real expertise for him.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,276 Posts
Agreed, I only posted because at least you get to see the construction build of filters.
I get that but that video has been posted again and again and the internet is full of cut open filter videos. Again, nothing wrong with posting something but your very first post was simply something found on the internet that most of us have seen already and you haven't even said what car you have or if you want to have a discussion about oil filters (which there are existing threads for). Participation is to be encouraged but just dropping a video like that in a new thread isn't too helpful.

Better for you to read existing threads about oil filters first and then ask questions or provide input. Again, what car do you have? Do you even have a Subaru? Are you about to have your first oil change and want to know what filter you should use? What is the purpose of just dropping a video we've already seen half a dozen times? Are you worried about the blue subaru filter in your car disintegrating? (it won't) Context please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get that but that video has been posted again and again and the internet is full of cut open filter videos. Again, nothing wrong with posting something but your very first post was simply something found on the internet that most of us have seen already and you haven't even said what car you have or if you want to have a discussion about oil filters (which there are existing threads for). Participation is to be encouraged but just dropping a video like that in a new thread isn't too helpful.

Better for you to read existing threads about oil filters first and then ask questions or provide input. Again, what car do you have? Do you even have a Subaru? Are you about to have your first oil change and want to know what filter you should use? What is the purpose of just dropping a video we've already seen half a dozen times? Are you worried about the blue subaru filter in your car disintegrating? (it won't) Context please.
Welcome and nice to meet you too. I have been life long Jeep Wrangler guy and part of the Jeep community for years and now just bought a new to me '17 OB Premier/eyesight with 20Kmiles. No offense taken to your comment but not a great way to encourage new comers and welcome them into the group. I am a good home mechanic and hope to find out more about OB.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,276 Posts
Lots of good info on this site - if you have questions lots of people with experience here. Sorry if I came across negative that wasn't my intention - it's great that you were trying to contribute knowledge to the site, so nothing wrong with that - glad you're not overly sensitive and congrats on the Outback!

Reactions: Ashtonbritney

·
5,645 Posts

Welcome and nice to meet you too. I have been life long Jeep Wrangler guy and part of the Jeep community for years and now just bought a new to me '17 OB Premier/eyesight with 20Kmiles. No offense taken to your comment but not a great way to encourage new comers and welcome them into the group. I am a good home mechanic and hope to find out more about OB.
@Ashtonbritney I am going to back what @SilverOnyx said and in exactly the way they said it because from my standpoint, as the person who has been running this website for 17+ years, a new member creating a thread to just post such a video... well that is typical behavior of someone with a suspect account. We are constantly fending off spammers, bots, trolls, and other nefarious entities every single day so while I am always happy to give everyone the benefit of the doubt I still have to question certain things at certain times.

As a fellow Jeep enthusiast I welcome you to the Outback Kingdom👑

1 - 11 of 11 Posts