Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the MSD coil sold as the Mitsubishi 4 will work on the 2.5 Subaru motors? The MSD unit appears to be identical to the Subaru factory unit. Finally, for anyone running an aftermarket coil set up, have you noticed any improvements? Thanks in advance,
traintrackker

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
MSD

I have run MSD ignitions for about 15years . Huge difference!!! You'll get more secondary voltage for longer duration of spark during combustion.

I personally like using the MSD 6A or 6AL capacitive discharge units in conjuction with coil and wires. Smoother acceleration and stabilty at high rpms . You can gain almost 20hp or more depending on the setup. I just installed a the MSD 6al /billet distributor/wires/coil on a 69 vette stingray big block 427cu chevy dynoed setup at 450hp to 495hp!!! As far as subaru goes you might contact Autotronic contols(MSD)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted MSD and their tech told me that they had nothing for the Outbacks...though funny enough, the Mitsu unit looks identical to the stock Outback coil...I just wish that the aftermarket would treat us better than a "stepchild" to the WRX...traintrackker

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
be glad they MAKE the WRX for us to be a stepchild to....there WAS very little mainstream aftermkt coverage of Subs before it was introduced.

and there are all kinds of good things on a rex which their owners toss for cheepo "racing" (look) items that will fit our cars, esp if you have an OBS like i do.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
more to the point---
i think primary and secondary circuit resistance are the main things you need to worry abt on coil compatibility. Autotronics shd be able to give you the #s on coil in Q, and the factory shop manual shd have the #s for stocker. if they're pretty close, it shd work.

however, i doubt you'll see a huge improvement just from a coil. i'm also a big fan of MSD-6 boxes but don't think they'll work on an individual-coil-pack, crank triggered ign like the Sub's. Autotronics does make some ign boxes that work with this setup but they're big $ when i priced at Summit.

keep us posted on results. i LOVE ign upgrades, as they're the one mod that adds hp and mpg, and reduces emissions AT the same time.

bw

·
Registered
'99 OBW LTD 2.5L DOHC EJ25
65 Posts
CD and platinums

I've read somewhere that capacitive discharge ignitions and platinum plugs don't go well together....I had a crane cams fireball ignition in my old truck and my brother put in Bosch +4 plats in thinking they wer good pugs...I melted them going over the grapevine.

Seeing as how the DOHC EJ25 requires plats, wouldn't that make us ineligible for a ign. upgrade?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts