·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
814 Posts
12 Cars That Will Go 200,000 Miles ? or More - MSN Autos

They list the Forester but not the Outback - but since they basically share the same mechanicals - I think - the Outback should be included as well.

They list the CRV.

The Forester has an archaic, but bomb proof 4EAT and that combo with the new FB motor (less likely to blow HG) I could see that.

The Outback maybe with the 6MT & new FB motor or the 3.6R models, but I have little faith in the longevity of the CVT (I’m having issues with my CVT another thread for that though), and in the back of my mind I question how long the HG will last in this Ej25 motor. That said my community of Nor Cal is flooded with 5-20 year old Subaru's, I would say Subaru's in my town make up for most of the "new" cars here.<O:p

My 2013 WRX, I could easily see that going 200K+ it’s basically the same car as the Bugeye models, pretty simple and should last a long time. <O:p

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mustang???

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Article is worthless.

Any of those 12 could go 200k miles. Which one(s) will do it on the same engine? Without 20 different $400 dealer visits in a 5 year period? Without one $2000 dealer visit?

They never actually set a threshold for their criteria. It's a gallery of 12 car pictures and has no meaning.

MSN needs to stick to simpler news stuff. "BREAKING: Sky still blue! UPDATE: only during the day" and "Water found to be wet."

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
These lists are uninformed, non-technical, and rather limited in scope so I'm not going to read it. They're for consumption, marketing, driving people to their site...

EZ H6 engines are a better high mileage candidate than the H4 EJ25's. But was never offered in a forester so the forester shouldn't make the list, or top out over Outbacks with the H6. All Legacy's have the same engine and drivetrain so why would the forester rank higher?

"Forester"...meaning what?
The new motor that has no longevity to speak of yet? So they are in the business of predicting the future?
Or meaning the older 4 cylinders with the headgasket and rod bearing eating EJ25's?

EJ25's are fine motors and easily capable of 200,000 miles, but of Subaru's fleet there are others that are more suitable for the list.

The EJ25 turbo offered in some Foresters is a fantastic engine if you run it with full synthetic it's entire life. But those lists are too limited to make those important distinctions.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
...pretty much any vehicle can make 200k if you keep it serviced and running well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In all seriousness, I don't think there would be any car out there built these days that with normal driving and routine maint completed would have a problem hitting the 200k miles mark.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all seriousness, I don't think there would be any car out there built these days that with normal driving and routine maint completed would have a problem hitting the 200k miles mark.
Even the FIAT 500 or the Smart Car?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
These lists are uninformed, non-technical, and rather limited in scope so I'm not going to read it. They're for consumption, marketing, driving people to their site...

EZ H6 engines are a better high mileage candidate than the H4 EJ25's. But was never offered in a forester so the forester shouldn't make the list, or top out over Outbacks with the H6. All Legacy's have the same engine and drivetrain so why would the forester rank higher?

"Forester"...meaning what?
The new motor that has no longevity to speak of yet? So they are in the business of predicting the future?
Or meaning the older 4 cylinders with the headgasket and rod bearing eating EJ25's?

EJ25's are fine motors and easily capable of 200,000 miles, but of Subaru's fleet there are others that are more suitable for the list.

The EJ25 turbo offered in some Foresters is a fantastic engine if you run it with full synthetic it's entire life. But those lists are too limited to make those important distinctions.
I think we have a forum member with a Gen3 H6 that has almost 400k on it without ever needing significant engine work.

2nd Gen H6 cars might be the best combination of engine and transmission for longetivity in Subaru's recent history.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 02 Ford Explorer that I took good care of and hit 210K about a couple of weeks ago. Was running fine, until a kid drive from of a side street and totaled my car.
Now I joined this forum, bc now i'm forced to buy a new car :(
RIP my Ford Exploder..

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just sold my BMW M3 convertible, 98 model with 284K miles and it was running perfect when sold.
Today's cars and trucks can easily run over 200K miles with minimal maintenance.
MSN as stated before should stick to areas of knowledge and technology they understand...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just sold my BMW M3 convertible, 98 model with 284K miles and it was running perfect when sold.
Today's cars and trucks can easily run over 200K miles with minimal maintenance.
MSN as stated before should stick to areas of knowledge and technology they understand...
E36 M3's are about the best car ever built IMHO.
You could beat the snot out of it and it would still go 300k. Same goes for the E30.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
14 Participants
RobMunach
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing