·
Registered
15MY 2.5i w/ES
592 Posts
Order placed today with Melissa at Grand:

MSRP: $34,578
Invoice: $31,928
Your Price: $30,580

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited (Crystal Black Silica/Slate Black Leather)
Model Code: FDF
Option Code: 23 (Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation + Eye Sight)
CVT (Automatic Transmission)
Popular Package #5 - Exterior auto-dimming mirror with Blind Spot Detection (BSD) and approach lighting; Rear bumper cover; All weather floor mats; Splash guards; Rear seat back protector
Cargo Net Rear of Seat

Additional Fees:
$166.27 Documentary Fee
$145 Transfer Plates OR $221 Brand New Plates
Sales Tax
What's the deal with BSD? I thought it was standard on the Limited.. is there a discount, when a package is order with something that is standard for a given trim?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Pkg 23) CBS
184 Posts
I've done a few in the 20+ range

We always sit down at a local bank branch and fill out the paper work then take the person to the counter and have the funds confirmed. This typically makes both seller and buyer happy given both parties typically can have Craigs list worries.

10-15K is peanuts
No really it is

I the person will not speak with you on the phone before you even start to talk money or viewing the vehicle - move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No phone conversation don't even bother with the add.
Good points!
I guess it cannot hurt to post it up to see if I get any interest. like you said im sure i could get a couple grand more than what ill get as a trade.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What's the deal with BSD? I thought it was standard on the Limited.. is there a discount, when a package is order with something that is standard for a given trim?
BSD is standard on the limited, but from cars101.com i believe you can get the auto dimming exterior mirrors with approach lighting for cars with BSD (limiteds) and without (base/premium). The distinction is simply what mirror is used (BSD cars have the LED icons to warn of vehicles in the blind spot and rear cross traffic alert).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Good points!
I guess it cannot hurt to post it up to see if I get any interest. like you said im sure i could get a couple grand more than what ill get as a trade.
Never had any issues with CRAIGs list with phone conversations that led to vehicle inspections and final sale etc.

I always meet those folks around the corner at the church parking lot or Safeway parking lot never at my house. Rookie Craigs list folks have people come to their house.

All of the questionable commentary have always been via email typically by yahoo's saying I'm asking too much and suggesting a price that would be fitting of a junker one trip away from the crusher. Which case I simply mark their email for my trash bin given they typically send more emails when you don't respond.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never had any issues with CRAIGs list with phone conversations that led to vehicle inspections and final sale etc.

I always meet those folks around the corner at the church parking lot or Safeway parking lot never at my house. Rookie Craigs list folks have people come to their house.

All of the questionable commentary have always been via email typically by yahoo's saying I'm asking too much and suggesting a price that would be fitting of a junker one trip away from the crusher. Which case I simply mark their email for my trash bin given they typically send more emails when you don't respond.
ill give it a whirl as we get closer to delivery. worst case i say 'f it' if its only yabos replying to my ad. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts

It's because the option is confusing the way it is written. There are two types of side mirrors that dim, one that supports BSD and one that does not. If your car already has BSD, then you need the option for the dimming mirrors that support BSD. Otherwise, you need the mirrors that do not support BSD.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
It's because the option is confusing the way it is written. There are two types of side mirrors that dim, one that supports BSD and one that does not. If your car already has BSD, then you need the option for the dimming mirrors that support BSD. Otherwise, you need the mirrors that do not support BSD.

Exactly.

Also, people sometimes mix up popular package 4 and popular package 5. Package 4 is for a Limited trim car without moonroof. It includes the interior autodimming rearview mirror. Package 5 is for a car with moonroof. It is less expensive because it doesn't include the interior autodimming mirror, because the mirror is already included on cars with the moonroof.

·
Registered
2015 Santa Fe Sport
210 Posts
This is going to sound odd to all you folks who know all about 'invoice pricing' etc., but because I don't . . what is the invoice everyone is talking about and where do you get to see it? Is it the invoice that the dealer gets from Subaru that is supposed to show how much the dealer has to pay for the car? If so, how does a dealer sell a car for 'less than' that price and make any money?

From all the examples in this thread, it seems that a good deal is 'simply' somewhere between 7 - 10% off MSRP?

Also, I'm in (western) Canada and would be interested some Canadian buyers examples. Our option packages seem to be completely different from the US. For example, we have a Technology Package Option, it includes Eyesight and a couple of other minor goodies, and I can add it to a 2.5 Limited for only $1,200.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does this sound like a good deal?

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Option Code: 23 (Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation + Eye Sight)
Factory Installed Options
Popular Package #5
Remote Start
Cargo Net Vertical
Cargo Net Side (2)
Body Side Moldings
Wheel Arch Moldings

$31, 624

·
Registered
2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited - Twilight Blue
147 Posts
This is going to sound odd to all you folks who know all about 'invoice pricing' etc., but because I don't . . what is the invoice everyone is talking about and where do you get to see it? Is it the invoice that the dealer gets from Subaru that is supposed to show how much the dealer has to pay for the car? If so, how does a dealer sell a car for 'less than' that price and make any money?

From all the examples in this thread, it seems that a good deal is 'simply' somewhere between 7 - 10% off MSRP?

Also, I'm in (western) Canada and would be interested some Canadian buyers examples. Our option packages seem to be completely different from the US. For example, we have a Technology Package Option, it includes Eyesight and a couple of other minor goodies, and I can add it to a 2.5 Limited for only $1,200.
The invoice price of a car is higher than the final dealer cost. The dealer "pays" (borrows) invoice but when the car is sold, the manufacturer pays the dealer an additional "holdback", which is at least 3% for Subaru. Depending on the dealer's volume of sales, the holdback increases.

The holdback is supposed to cover the cost of the dealer's financing the car to sit on the lot. If the dealer can sell the car quickly, then the holdback is profit.

ETA: A quick google search shows a paid site for Canadian invoice prices and another one called unhaggle.com which asks for your personal information before providing the invoice price.

·
Registered
2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited - Twilight Blue
147 Posts

·
Banned
2013 3.6 ob limited twi blu
170 Posts
Parky is getting the shaft big time. I got 5k off sticker and they made money. Plus I got 0 percent interest for 60 months.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does this sound like a good deal?

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Factory Installed Options
Popular Package #5
Remote Start
Cargo Net Vertical
Cargo Net Side (2)
Body Side Moldings
Wheel Arch Moldings

$31, 624
Where are your finding 'cargo net vertical' and 'cargo net side' as options? I don't see those listed on Subaru,com or edmunds. Assuming they are about $45 each invoice would be around 32,821. So your quote is about $1197 below invoice.
Seems legit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Where are your finding 'cargo net vertical' and 'cargo net side' as options? I don't see those listed on Subaru,com or edmunds. Assuming they are about $45 each invoice would be around 32,821. So your quote is about $1197 below invoice.
Seems legit.
Cargo net vertical is just the rear cargo net by the back door. Not the netting by the seats. I swear I saw the side ones on Edmunds but I just quickly checked and didn't see them. I know I saw then somewhere because I asked for them. Maybe cars 101. I'm pretty happy with that quote especially right off the bat. No negotiations so far. Might try some although I'm not sure how much wiggle room they will give me but I'll try.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cargo net vertical is just the rear cargo net by the back door. Not the netting by the seats. I swear I saw the side ones on Edmunds but I just quickly checked and didn't see them. I know I saw then somewhere because I asked for them. Maybe cars 101. I'm pretty happy with that quote especially right off the bat. No negotiations so far. Might try some although I'm not sure how much wiggle room they will give me but I'll try.
See what truecar gives you for those same options. Might get you another 1-200 bucks off. Worked for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
See what truecar gives you for those same options. Might get you another 1-200 bucks off. Worked for me.
Truecar has only given me $4-500 under MSRP as far as quotes go. This quote is currently almost 2k lower than the 3 truecar quotes I received from dealers. Of course I haven't really entered into a serious negotiations with any of them. This quite was from an out of state dealer I contacted via email and the price was so low right away in comparison. That why I started adding more **** to the car and I'm still $1500-1700 below the truecar quotes. This thing is most of the way to fully loaded at under 32k. It was at 31,100 until I added the side molding and wheel molding. I'm not getting much of a break on those.

Edit update- truecar value on those 2 options are $735 and they are quoting me $509 for them so that is already $226 under truecar and about $13 under invoice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are correct... It appears that the pricing in TrueCar changed from what it was a few days ago, to what it is today (at least for me, when I tried to re-configure my options with the '60106' zip code).

There seems to be a disconnect; maybe the price was inflated across the board. Maybe 'BURUTOO' can help confirm this to see if there really is a discrepancy.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
This is going to sound odd to all you folks who know all about
'invoice pricing' etc., but because I don't ...
You're not missing anything. Way back in the day, "Invoice Price"
used to (sort of) indicate approximately what the dealer actually
paid for the car -- but not any more.

Dealers now get all sorts of factory incentives/bonuses, so you'll
NEVER know what they actually pay. You also have no clue as to
how much markup a dealer needs to stay in business -- or what
the supply-versus-demand balance is looking like, this week.

IMO, the only things worth paying attention to are MSRP (directly
from subaru.com/build-your-own) and actual selling price (before
tax & tags) from places like this forum, TrueCar.com, and the like.

Just follow these forums to keep up to date on what discounts
(as a percentage of MSRP) are currently being offered. TrueCar
is another source of info, but it'll be a while until they catch up
with pricing trends for 2015 OB/Legacy.

Be aware that TrueCar prices vary wildly from place to place
because they depend entirely on the greed/desperation of
the nearest 2-3 participating dealers. Plug in a few different
zip codes to test the waters in surrounding regions.

...paying MSRP (or even invoice) is a crime against capitalism,

Looby

61 - 80 of 7288 Posts