Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 7288 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been lurking around for a while and I really like the 2015 Outback's look. I have a question about the calculation of the VIP Pricing. Does the "Invoice" in the "Invoice - 2%" formula includes destination charges? The invoice of the car I am looking for (3.6R Limited + Eyesight + #5) seems to be ($30860 + $2493 + $434 + $850) = $34637. Should I be expecting to pay (34637 * 0.98) = $33944.26?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have contacted several dealerships. I have stated that I don't mind waiting for my order but the offers are not even close to that (I did mention about the VIP pricing). Anyone knows a dealership around the area or a good person I can talk to this about?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
355 Posts
Dealers in Arizona and Colorado

If anyone has had a good experience price wise with a dealer in Arizona, please let me know. Also, if anyone has dealt with "Clint" from the Colorado "volume dealership" I would like to hear about that experience, pricing and if you would recommend him. Thank You! :)

·
Registered
2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited - Twilight Blue
147 Posts
I've been lurking around for a while and I really like the 2015 Outback's look. I have a question about the calculation of the VIP Pricing. Does the "Invoice" in the "Invoice - 2%" formula includes destination charges? The invoice of the car I am looking for (3.6R Limited + Eyesight + #5) seems to be ($30860 + $2493 + $434 + $850) = $34637. Should I be expecting to pay (34637 * 0.98) = $33944.26?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have contacted several dealerships. I have stated that I don't mind waiting for my order but the offers are not even close to that (I did mention about the VIP pricing). Anyone knows a dealership around the area or a good person I can talk to this about?
The destination charge is not discounted in VIP pricing. So, your formula would be:
($30,860 + $2493 + $434)*.98= $33,111 + 850 = $33,961 + tax/tags/title/docs

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
That's exactly how they priced the last four Subaru VIP transactions I've done for myself or friends. I can't find the invoice for my '13 but I checked the invoices on the other three before that and the selling prices were all calculated by the dealer in the manner you describe.

For research I usually rely on Edmunds. I suggest building the car on their site and then taking 2% off the invoice price (This may be what you've already done). Whenever I've done a VIP car deal, including the 2015 I ordered a couple of weeks ago, the numbers used by dealers in their VIP quotes matched the Edmunds total invoice including destination minus 2%.

·
Registered
2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited - Twilight Blue
147 Posts
Whenever I've done a VIP car deal, including the 2015 I ordered a couple of weeks ago, the numbers used by dealers in their VIP quotes matched the Edmunds total invoice including destination minus 2%.
Aha ... that would explain why the final price for my order was slightly lower than my calculation. Seems that the dealer did discount destination, even though he explained that the $850 was a separate, un-discounted charge. The computer system must take care of it correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pulled the trigger yesterday after a bit of negotiation

MSRP $35,363
Invoice $32,840
Selling Price: $30,840

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited (Crystal Black Silica/Warm Ivory Leather)

Option Code: 23 (Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation + Eye Sight)

Popular Package #5 (includes exterior auto dimming mirror with approach lighting and blind spot detection, rear bumper cover, all weather rubber floor mats, splash guards, rear seatback protector)
Remote Engine Starter
Sti Metal Pedal Pad Set
Moonroof Air Deflector
Rear Cargo Net
Aluminum Wheel Lock Kit

Only Additional OUT OF STATE Fees:
$166.27 Documentary Fee + $50 (30-Day Out of State Drive Away) + Sales Tax (Depending on State you live in)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pulled the trigger yesterday after a bit of negotiation

MSRP $35,363
Invoice $32,840
Selling Price: $30,840

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited (Crystal Black Silica/Warm Ivory Leather)

Option Code: 23 (Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation + Eye Sight)

Popular Package #5 (includes exterior auto dimming mirror with approach lighting and blind spot detection, rear bumper cover, all weather rubber floor mats, splash guards, rear seatback protector)
Remote Engine Starter
Sti Metal Pedal Pad Set
Moonroof Air Deflector
Rear Cargo Net
Aluminum Wheel Lock Kit

Only Additional OUT OF STATE Fees:
$166.27 Documentary Fee + $50 (30-Day Out of State Drive Away) + Sales Tax (Depending on State you live in)
You did well there from my estimation. What area did you purchase this?

·
Banned
2013 3.6 ob limited twi blu
170 Posts
Who all got 0 percent interest and 5 thosand off sticker for 60 months, the answer is me. You just have to be willing to walk away. That's it no big secret, say my way or the highway.They don't want to look at the same cars . No movement , no money.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Who all got 0 percent interest and 5 thosand off sticker for 60 months...
Sounds FAR too high for a 2014 when A2O got $4500 off of a 2015.
Your 1-year additional depreciation totally wipes out any savings --
including the subsidized rate. At today's 1.5%-ish credit union APRs,
the interest savings is no more than $1200, and will be far less than
that if the buyer had a trade-in and/or chose a shorter-term loan.

...but no use crying over coulda-woulda-shoulda,

Looby

·
Registered
2009 Ford Escape Limited
57 Posts
I'm planning on using the VIP program for a new 2015 Outback and I recently joined Leave No Trace. I'll have to wait 6 months, but I'll have to wait anyway since I want the Outback with Eyesight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You did well there from my estimation. What area did you purchase this?
Thanks. Grand Subaru, Chicago area... it took about a week of back and forth to finally get them to agree. It also helped that at that time, a not too far away competitor had a slightly better price (as quoted by TrueCar) than Grand which I used as leverage. They had to at least match that price, so when they did, I haggled for a little bit more off the competitor's price. Couldn't be happier.
Funny thing is that I went back to TrueCar a week later, to see if anything changed and there was almost a $900 increase in quoted price. I was somewhat surprised, I guess the demand for the outback may have factored in. Who knows?

·
Registered
15MY 2.5i w/ES
592 Posts
I'm planning on using the VIP program for a new 2015 Outback and I recently joined Leave No Trace. I'll have to wait 6 months, but I'll have to wait anyway since I want the Outback with Eyesight.
In 6 months, it might be easier to get better than VIP pricing from more dealers...

Remember, right now, dealers have '14s they're trying to rid of and '15s are still scarce.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks. Grand Subaru, Chicago area... it took about a week of back and forth to finally get them to agree. It also helped that at that time, a not too far away competitor had a slightly better price (as quoted by TrueCar) than Grand which I used as leverage. They had to at least match that price, so when they did, I haggled for a little bit more off the competitor's price. Couldn't be happier.
Funny thing is that I went back to TrueCar a week later, to see if anything changed and there was almost a $900 increase in quoted price. I was somewhat surprised, I guess the demand for the outback may have factored in. Who knows?
Nice job. I'm about to enter the negotiating phase myself with Grand once I get a quote from a local dealer. I'd like to stay local if I can but not sure if they will compete with the prices Grand has been giving me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice job. I'm about to enter the negotiating phase myself with Grand once I get a quote from a local dealer. I'd like to stay local if I can but not sure if they will compete with the prices Grand has been giving me.
I tried to stay local but my experience with the 2014 Forester which I wanted to purchase last year made me realize that my local dealers were stuck in their ways. At that time, I had a quote from Grand, showed it to my dealer and he clearly said there was no way they could match it.
Heard about the Outback, waited and then followed up with Grand; did not even bother with my local dealer. Since Grand is only 4 hours from me, it did not matter much.
All the best with your negotiation!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight/Blind Spot Monitoring/Lift Gate
203 Posts
My local dealer saw my offer from grand and told me to go there because they couldn't 'lose money to sell me a car' lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
My local dealer saw my offer from grand and told me to go there because they couldn't 'lose money to sell me a car' lol
lol... I feel your humor. My dealer said these exact words: "Geezzz.... I am not sure what they are doing differently". Then I knew it was an issue from the top. Well, now I know where to go next time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I tried to stay local but my experience with the 2014 Forester which I wanted to purchase last year made me realize that my local dealers were stuck in their ways. At that time, I had a quote from Grand, showed it to my dealer and he clearly said there was no way they could match it.
Heard about the Outback, waited and then followed up with Grand; did not even bother with my local dealer. Since Grand is only 4 hours from me, it did not matter much.
All the best with your negotiation!
Yeah I'm about 3 hours away. I figure if I use Grand, I can go to Ikea in Schaumburg and load it up just because I can. :)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight/Blind Spot Monitoring/Lift Gate
203 Posts
lol... I feel your humor. My dealer said these exact words: "Geezzz.... I am not sure what they are doing differently". Then I knew it was an issue from the top. Well, now I know where to go next time.
Grand makes a claim on their website that they are the "largest volume dealer in IL", so I assume they probably get $$ kick backs from the manufacturer for selling such large quantities. This probably counter balances the low costs they sell the vehicles for. That's just my guess. I know when I went in to order mine they were SUPER busy in the internet sales building -- mostly with people placing orders or taking delivery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
They might also structure it so sales people don't get commissions on individual cars but get a percentage of other revenue earned by the dealership.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any y'all in California shopping? Grand I'm Chicago is very tempting but I just can't do 3 days driving.

I'm curious to if you Californians are getting invoice or below invoice prices. Please share!

Cheers!

81 - 100 of 7288 Posts