Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 2006 Subaru Outback XT and while I was driving on the highway today, downshifted to 4th gear after some slow traffic and all of a sudden feels like I'm losing power, engine is bogging a bit and can't accelerate. I throw on the hazards and slow down. Then I go down to second and third and they are running just fine. It's just 4th gear. 5th is fine as well. In 4th I get this sounds like if you were to put a piece of stiff paper in a fan and it hits the blades over and over again. It feels like maybe the gear synchronizer for 4th is screwed up? Or the gears got all cut up in 4th.

Well, I'm worried all is not well with the rest of the gears either. Car has 150k on it. I know the basics of how a manual transmission works, but I'm not sure what's going on. Going to bring it to a mechanic Monday, but I think I should leave it parked over the weekend.

Wondering if there's some input from the forum here and how much you think will be involved?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
782 Posts
Sounds like 4th gear chipped a tooth, and hopefully it fell to the bottom and didn't take anything else out(most likely since rest of the gears are fine). Would either need a rebuild or swap in matching ratio trans. Which if you pay someone to do this, trans swap will be cheapest option generally.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm that sucks. Is this common?

I will look into a 6MT swap, I wonder if that's possible. How much does the labor for this vary vs. a clutch? It sounds like a multiple thousand dollar affair...

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
782 Posts
Hm that sucks. Is this common?

I will look into a 6MT swap, I wonder if that's possible. How much does the labor for this vary vs. a clutch? It sounds like a multiple thousand dollar affair...
I know for a while subaru 5 speeds where referred to as a glass box. But I dont remember which years. Good 5 speeds generally run around $100-300 around me. R&R probably 5 hours labor? Not sure on what it is book time. I couldn't see it being more then $1500 with fees, fluids, and taxes.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
Not common, especially in the OBXT/LGT 5-speeds (arguably, strongest they made). While it's possible to have a dead synchro or chipped tooth, it's more likely debris from something else may have gotten in jammed and caused some issues.

Unfortunately, no real easy way to confirm diag without box removal and disassembly. Especially with only one gear acting odd...

Box swap is easiest vs. rebuild. Unfortunately, you're pretty limited to 05-09 OBXT for plug-and-play.

6MT swap IS multiple thousands and, while straightforward, requires LOTS of related part changes.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
486 Posts
Lot's of things to think about while the tranny's out. New clutch Kit. resurface the FW. replace the dual mass FW with a 07-09 single mass FW. you'll need the 8 FW bolts too.

If you pull the DMFW, you'll need a Torx T-50+
Here's a picture of my Spec LWFW which used the Torx T-50+ fasteners and what I used to remove them. that was back in April 2012.
My wagon now has a OEM 07-09 SMFW and Spec 2+ clutch. DSCN4724.JPG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the shop dropped the trans and split it open and it's pretty much shot. They want $6k out the door to refurb it and $7k out the door to drop a reman one in. Um no thank you.

I was ideally hoping for this to be hands off because even though I like cars, I'm in a new job and just need a car atm. This is my DD.

So my thoughts are to either try and source a pick n pull transmission for a few hundred bucks and then be out $2500 in labor to have them install something I have no history on. OR try and move the car to performance shop and have them help me source a Spec B or STI 6-speed + rear diff + driveshaft + rear axles. That will at least increase the value of the car and still be in the $7-8k region (I'd think?) out the door.

Honestly this is not fun, but such is life.

Btw, does anyone know if the JDM Spec B tranny's on eBay for $1800 have hydraulic or cable clutches? They seem like a pretty decent swap option if it's hydraulic. I could also source an STI LSD diff I believe in the front if I wanted.

It sounds like the speed sensor is in the hubs on the outbacks so I don't need to worry about that with the trans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not common, especially in the OBXT/LGT 5-speeds (arguably, strongest they made). While it's possible to have a dead synchro or chipped tooth, it's more likely debris from something else may have gotten in jammed and caused some issues.
So what I'm thinking is I could have saved a bundle potentially by doing a trans fluid flush...live and learn.

Here's the chipped tooth:

They said there was debris all over, through the bearings, scarred the main shaft and more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts