Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last time I was up there, I had a tuned Mazdaspeed Protege. It ran horribly.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,598 Posts
Now I'm nostalgic from looking at your pictures. I've climbed it to the south rim maybe 10 times total, really lost count. But last time was about 4 years ago, just a climb buddy and me alone.

Every year it's different inside the crater, which is the view you've posted here (Johnston Ridge Observatory?)

Some older members of my climbing club remember when it was a 9,600 foot peak, and it took longer to summit. Now it's about 1,000 feet less, and precarious if you approach the rim with poor visibility, which is about half the time.

Got to go again I think!

·
Registered
2019 Outback
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I'm nostalgic from looking at your pictures. I've climbed it to the south rim maybe 10 times total, really lost count. But last time was about 4 years ago, just a climb buddy and me alone.

Every year it's different inside the crater, which is the view you've posted here (Johnston Ridge Observatory?)

Some older members of my climbing club remember when it was a 9,600 foot peak, and it took longer to summit. Now it's about 1,000 feet less, and precarious if you approach the rim with poor visibility, which is about half the time.

Got to go again I think!
As in climb climb?

I want to do the hike at some point.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,598 Posts
As in climb climb?

I want to do the hike at some point.
Yes, climb. Although not at all technical, just an ice axe and maybe crampons.

In summer, its a hike as you surmised. Are you local in Portland or Puget Sound region?

·
Registered
2019 Outback
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, climb. Although not at all technical, just an ice axe and maybe crampons.

In summer, its a hike as you surmised. Are you local in Portland or Puget Sound region?
Portland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts