Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2017 Outback. I'd like to get mudflaps, but the OEM ones look kind of short? I've never had mud flaps on a car before and really don't know anything about them.

What can you recommend that could be simple for a gal with basic mechanical skills to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts
The OEM are fine for moderate snow/dirt road driving. If you do mud slinging I would suggest more coverage ones.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
in aftermarkets:

some people here like the Gorilla brand,

vs. the constant drumbeat of Rally Armor that are soft / and tear easy.

Reactions: HanoverGimp

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
278 Posts
I have the Gorilla flaps on my 3rd Gen OBW. Love that they are not flimsy and don't blow in the wind like the Rally Armors. Relatively easy to install. My only complaint (and i'm not sure if it applies to the flaps for the later Gens) is that I wish they were a little bit longer. The same ones are used for the Legacy and the OB. IMHO, they are the perfect length on a Legacy, but with the taller suspension of the OB they would be a bit better if they were an inch or 2 longer...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Gorilla brand shows unavailable on their website for 2017 OB. Any other manufactures that are good?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
rally armors look nice. you can get those predrilled. gorilla is what i currently have(rears only cause of too big tires). the quality is much bettter but only universal fit for newer outbacks.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
573 Posts
I love my Rally Armor mudflaps!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rally Armor direct fit mud flaps I installed

I was looking for some mud flaps. I got recommendations from you guys to look for the Gorilla brand, but they were 'out of stock.'

So I went with these because of the 'direct fit.' I roped my bff into helping me install them. She had the jack and tools. I have literally never jacked up a car before. Never removed lug nuts before. Never pulled off a tire before.

Suffice to say, I think the tire weighed about as much as I did! :surprise:

So the front ones installed ok. The back ones took more effort because of the removal of the back wheels.

I was incredibly shocked when the back passenger wheel did not take much effort to loosen! What's up with THAT!? I imagine at some point, the wheel could have suffered some damage wobbling off or some other not nice scenario.

So how did I do for a girl? :x :grin2:

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts
no putting heads or other body parts under a car without jack-stands on a level piece of concrete..

...and I knew a guy that died from being crushed by his outback. :surprise:

checking tightening lug nuts,...something that should be added to the list of things to do on a new car.
(like whenever someone puts rims the car,...it needs to be driven a mile or so and then rechecked).

maybe your dealer did not do that before you took delivery.?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
Those direct fits are crazy expensive.

Did the mud flaps mount in contour with the wheel well lining or did they go on straight??

I'm tempted to pick up a universal set in red for my OB. Was told I can mix the existing hardware with some pieces from the parts store to make this work, but still trying to figure out what I need and how it's gonna go on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those direct fits are crazy expensive.

Did the mud flaps mount in contour with the wheel well lining or did they go on straight??

I'm tempted to pick up a universal set in red for my OB. Was told I can mix the existing hardware with some pieces from the parts store to make this work, but still trying to figure out what I need and how it's gonna go on

Ya. These were around $150 for the set. I've never bought mud flaps before. So I don't really have anything to compare them to other than the OEM that came on my friend's 2014 Outback.

The Rally hang MUCH lower.

I was out at my boyfriend's new construction house yesterday. This was the first time I took my new car on dirt roads. As luck would have it, it rained and the ground was just enough to be muddy. If you look at my tire, it is just caked with mud and gravel rocks.

When I started driving off, the noise of the mud and gravel flipping off was tremendous. I was expecting my car to be covered in mud. When I finally got off the dirt roads and the tires were no longer flipping off mud, I stopped to look at how much mud landed on my car.

Absolutely NONE!!! The mud flaps worked beautifully. Some mud landed on them, but no mud got past them.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,846 Posts
I was out at my boyfriend's new construction house yesterday. This was the first time I took my new car on dirt roads. .
some people here will be tearing up with such news. ...a new subaru in a wrestling match with a little mud....like it should be.:wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
I ended up jumping on some generic universal mud flaps off ebay. So far I've noticed it does keep the side of the car clean. I hit a small mud puddle and saw some mud get slung straight up the fender, Kept it off the doors so it wasn't too noticeable.

$23 for the flaps and about $9 in hardware(#10 speed nuts and #10 screws from the auto parts store). Whole install process took 2 hours from measuring and cutting to putting them on. Did not have to drill anything or remove any wheels. Did the whole install using one of those multi tools lol. Flat head, philips, and small knife. Did have to break out the household scissors to trim the inside of the flaps so they'd clear the wheels at full lock.

Very easy project for anybody who doesn't want to shell out $150+ for mud flaps. Granted my cutting doesn't look great but if you spend some time they'll come out looking perfect. Don't really care about the jagged edges on mine that's only noticeable when you're working in the wheel well.

Here's how they turned out: https://flic.kr/p/YoGe1k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts