Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'15 2.5i Outback; '12 STI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same issue. It's a pretty odd one. At about 30k, the muffler started making noise intermittently at idle/low RPM's. Not a critical issue, but would get annoying at times.
Turned out to be from the baffle deteriorating inside the muffler. Dealer warranteed the muffler, but noise started happening again around 60k. Went to the same dealer after a year and half, and they warranteed it again.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,752 Posts
Are you sure it is not the heat-shields surrounding the exhaust up near the engine? This is a VERY common issue.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
How strange!
I'm with @brucep on this, it has to be the heat shield. Mufflers don't deteriorate that quickly. Lord every car I've ever owned the muffler has lasted for as long as I've owned the m, except for my 1993 Fort Probe GT, it kept falling off! Until they sent it to Midas to have it welded...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was def coming from the muffler in the rear. Occasionally, i'd run outside and listen. It was a weird noise, hard to explain. The dealer said they'd never seen it before, other than my car.

Is the exhaust shield noise near the engine more like a crackling noise under acceleration?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,663 Posts
The dealer said they'd never seen it before, other than my car.
Refer your dealer to TSB 09-66-16:

Rear Muffler Shell Rigidity Enhancement

This bulletin announces a change in the production procedure for the rear muffler assembly. Spot-weld locations securing the outer shell portion have been changed to improve overall rigidity. A gap may develop at the spot welded seam as a result of repeated thermal shock (heating / cooling) which occurs during normal use. The gap does not create an exhaust leak. In some cases, a rattling sound from the muffler may develop.

09-66-16

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that sounds like the issue. first started happening to me about 2 years ago. Wonder if doing a lot of highway miles in hot weather exacerbates it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,993 Posts
Mufflers are pretty stout, robust and long-lasting, just like Bea Arthur. I would've thought it was the heatshields.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Mufflers are pretty stout, robust and long-lasting, just like Bea Arthur. I would've thought it was the heatshields.
When I was younger, one of the things that my Dad always made sure that I carried in my car was a wire coat hanger.

That way when your exhaust pipe rusted through and fell down while you were driving down the road, you could stop, crawl under the car, and hang it back up until you could get into a muffler shop so they could put a new pipe on.

Mind you, this was back in the late 70's and early 80's, in Indiana with all the assorted salt and other grime that you'd get piled up under a car while living in the country and you never took it to anyplace with an underbody wash.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
588 Posts
It was def coming from the muffler in the rear. Occasionally, i'd run outside and listen. It was a weird noise, hard to explain. The dealer said they'd never seen it before, other than my car.
This used to be a problem with some of the earlier generation Foresters (early SG). It was due to something inside the muffler deteriorating that caused a whistling sound at the tip. A new muffler fixed the issue. Subaruforester.org had a topic or a few posts on this. I think certain exhaust tips also caused the same issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This used to be a problem with some of the earlier generation Foresters (early SG). It was due to something inside the muffler deteriorating that caused a whistling sound at the tip. A new muffler fixed the issue. Subaruforester.org had a topic or a few posts on this. I think certain exhaust tips also caused the same issue.
When id get out and listen, it sounded like a vibration coming from inside the muffler more towards the middle ish kinda towards the mid pipe end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I was younger, one of the things that my Dad always made sure that I carried in my car was a wire coat hanger.

That way when your exhaust pipe rusted through and fell down while you were driving down the road, you could stop, crawl under the car, and hang it back up until you could get into a muffler shop so they could put a new pipe on.

Mind you, this was back in the late 70's and early 80's, in Indiana with all the assorted salt and other grime that you'd get piled up under a car while living in the country and you never took it to anyplace with an underbody wash.
That happened to me in the Minnesota slush one winter. Though it rusted off before the muffler (which was still firmly attached) I ended up tying it up the the front seat leg with the lace out of my boot. Drove it 200 miles like that going to get it fixed. It held! But man was that Mustang loud!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i
4 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same issue. It's a pretty odd one. At about 30k, the muffler started making noise intermittently at idle/low RPM's. Not a critical issue, but would get annoying at times.
Turned out to be from the baffle deteriorating inside the muffler. Dealer warranteed the muffler, but noise started happening again around 60k. Went to the same dealer after a year and half, and they warranteed it again.
Same issue, 2013 2.5i, started at ~45k and got really loud at 60k. It turned out that not only deterioration on the inside but a massive hole on the top. Replaced muffler with a stainless Walker $80. Separately the rattles from of the heat shields fixed with cable wire (next time I will try stainless zip ties). The heat shield above the muffler I just tore out.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
13 Posts
I have the same issue with my'15 Outback, intermittent rumbling noise from the muffler. The heat shields are fine. I read that the baffle welds in the muffler are at fault and cause a rumbling sound, only fix is to replace the muffler. I changed out the hangers for new ones and it helped but the rumble is still evident and certain angles.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,049 Posts
I have the same issue with my'15 Outback, intermittent rumbling noise from the muffler. The heat shields are fine. I read that the baffle welds in the muffler are at fault and cause a rumbling sound, only fix is to replace the muffler. I changed out the hangers for new ones and it helped but the rumble is still evident and certain angles.
Read post #6 in this thread for root cause.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
13 Posts
Any recommendations for a replacement muffler, dealer wants $355, I can manage the job myself but have heard mixed reviews on Walker and Bosal brands. Wonder if the oem muffler issue has been resolved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts