Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's experiences with muffler damage when off road? Does your exhaust survive? What about backing up? I have not had a muffler for a long time, but just bought one to put on. After a recent trip off road, I am second guessing this.

If you have driven on rocks and your hitch has taken a licking, I want to talk to you!

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL - rocks are not kind to any of the soft bits under the car. When it starts getting technical with large rock you slow it down or take your lumps knowing something is going to be dinged up.

I've dragged the hitch bar over curbs - rocks and more curbs in the old Legacy other than some minor paint loss the hitch bar is probably the single most resistant thing under the car to being deformed by rock or curbs. The softer stuff that costs money like bumper caps, fender liners and the like are the things you start wishing you had slowed down to save.

Only muffler I've lost was due to hitting a very deep puddle of water in the dark never spotted it scared the living **** out of me 50mph vs a foot deep puddle across a dry road. Ripped the muffler right off the bottom of the truck considering I came out the other side Ok and drove home I felt pretty lucky it was only a muffler I lost.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL - rocks are not kind to any of the soft bits under the car. When it starts getting technical with large rock you slow it down or take your lumps knowing something is going to be dinged up.

I've dragged the hitch bar over curbs - rocks and more curbs in the old Legacy other than some minor paint loss the hitch bar is probably the single most resistant thing under the car to being deformed by rock or curbs. The softer stuff that costs money like bumper caps, fender liners and the like are the things you start wishing you had slowed down to save.

Only muffler I've lost was due to hitting a very deep puddle of water in the dark never spotted it scared the living **** out of me 50mph vs a foot deep puddle across a dry road. Ripped the muffler right off the bottom of the truck considering I came out the other side Ok and drove home I felt pretty lucky it was only a muffler I lost.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Most folks with vehicles they drive on public roads - are required to have proper emissions and muffler systems on their cars so generally its not much of a choice to have one or not. Unless we are talking about a trail rig that gets hauled around on a flat bed.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Oddly it isnt as much of a problem as it used to be. With cars getting smooth bellies they dont really hang down that much anymore so it doesnt happen often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts