Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recomendations on a good multi-fuel single burner camp stove? I have a Coleman 425 dual burner stove but would like something smaller and more portable. I like the size and functionality of the Coleman Sporter II or the Exponent but the reviews lead me to believe that Coleman is not the quality product that it used to be and the Exponent seems over priced. I've heard good things about MSR multi-fuel stoves but they are very expensive but perhaps worth it???

I know there are many other extremely small stoves that use other fuels like propane or isobutane but i like the idea of being able to use various fuel types that are readily availible in one stove.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I haven't used the MSR multi-fuel, but I have a few of their other goods and have seen a few of their alcohol-fueled stoves in action: Serious quality, very impressed with the materials, workmanship & performance on a cold morning.

I agree with you- coleman is not the name it used to be.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm quite happy with my MSR WhisperLite. There's a trick to getting it started but once you get used to it it's easy. If I ever replace it, it will be because something better was invented. MSR makes a quality product. It folds up and fits into my GSI cooking kit.

-Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. You've both confirmed my thoughts that I just need to fork out the extra cash for a MSR. You get what you pay for.

Fox, have you ever tried diesel or kerosene in yours?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It depends on what you are using it for. For multi-day trips where you carry your gear, it is real hard to beat the Jetboil.

But if you must burn anything you can not beat MSR. The ability to break them down quick for repairs is another big plus. I've never used diesel to cook with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the replies. You've both confirmed my thoughts that I just need to fork out the extra cash for a MSR. You get what you pay for.

Fox, have you ever tried diesel or kerosene in yours?
I've only used Coleman camp fuel in mine. It comes in a can by the gallon, not jug or pumps to deal with. AFAIK it burns cleaner too.

-Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends on what you are using it for. For multi-day trips where you carry your gear, it is real hard to beat the Jetboil.

But if you must burn anything you can not beat MSR. The ability to break them down quick for repairs is another big plus. I've never used diesel to cook with.

I don't really need it for multi-day hiking trips, i'm just looking for something that doesn't take up too much room in the car for camping and dirt bike trips.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only used Coleman camp fuel in mine. It comes in a can by the gallon, not jug or pumps to deal with. AFAIK it burns cleaner too.

-Tim
I was just curious. I'm sure I would only use camp gas but it's always nice to have options :29:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking into those this spring, and ended up choosing the Primus OmniFuel. The MSR was a close second, and would have been a fine choice, too, I'm sure. I was looking for something that would be reliable and fast to melt glacial ice in cold weather at moderately high altitude to use when mountain climbing in the Cascades, and the Primus fit the bill. I've been happy with it so far.

In warmer weather at lower altitudes, the JetBoil is a lot easier to use.

·
Registered
665 Posts
MSR Whisperlite international (as opposed to the regular Whisperlite). It is a solid very tested multifuel stove. You're still best to run naptha aka white gas, or coleman's fuel in it cause it'll be the most clean burning fuel you can regularly buy but you can run different kinds of fuel in a pinch. Also works better in the deep cold than a basic isobutane stove like the Jetboil. Jetboil makes a "4-season" mix that is part propane to solve their issues when it's cold. For real cold temps, MSR makes some expedition quality stoves but it sounds like the whisperlite would fit the bill.

Primus also makes good stoves too, I would have no issues with either. Most of the problems with MSR would be a clogged fuel jet which you can clean at home and they make field repair kits if need be.

I own a jetboil and a whisperlite Int for backpacking trips. Usually bring the Jetboil just for ease of use but the Whisperlite is a better winter stove and for expedition like trips...

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Jay H
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing