Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple Brake Problems all at once

My 1998 Outback wagon's brake history: In Aug 03, front brake work done: pads and rotors resurfaced at 45K (first time) by dealer.
June 04 ABS warning light on dash came on intermittently and squealing noise at low speeds noticed. Dealer diagnosed bad left rear ABS sensor caused ABS controller to short out. Replaced those parts, plus rear brake pads and rotor resurfaced at 50K (first time).
Squeal noise as brake pedal lifted and/or no brake use but slow speed such as entering/leaving garage still there. Returned to dealer 1 week later and told right front caliper had gone bad, so it was replaced. Now 7 days later, I'm still hearing squeal and sounds more like left side. Before I bring it back to dealer again, does anyone have ideas on possible other cause of squeal? I don't want it to be left caliper gone bad too! Car is otherwise fine, no off road use, no riding of brake pedal, etc.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
disc brake quiet

try disc brake quiet on the pads backside surface (metal plate) spray on until tacky. This will keep the pads from shifting when light brake pressure is applied during slow speeds. As the caliper releases the pad can separate from the piston , therefore leaving a gap between the rotor and pad and uneven application pressure may cause a squeal .

A bad caliper is easy to detect. simply check the wear of the pad .If it's uneven the piston may not retract all the way . You might need to shim the caliper for a good true fit (wedge type fit calipers only). this allows the caliper to move evenly across the spider .They do splay out over time. The caliper should not be loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts