Subaru Outback Forums banner

Music is tinny and only plays from dash speakers

5538 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mic911
2019 3.6 Touring with Navigation. When I use my Amazon music service, and the IPhone X is connected via cable, the music sounds very tinny and only plays from the dash speakers. Can anyone give me some insight to the problem? Thanks, Mel
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,338 Posts
Yep. May need to reset your HeadUnit. Try pressing and holding for like 25 seconds until it reboots. Also, there is an amplifier under the passenger seat. May need to be reset too but I don't know if it's DIY possible.

For other sources, do the other speakers work? Because if they do, then may be the iPhoneX. Are you running Apple CarPlay? Did you check Apple forums for issues?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. May need to reset your HeadUnit. Try pressing and holding for like 25 seconds until it reboots. Also, there is an amplifier under the passenger seat. May need to be reset too but I don't know if it's DIY possible.

For other sources, do the other speakers work? Because if they do, then may be the iPhoneX. Are you running Apple CarPlay? Did you check Apple forums for issues?
Thanks for the information. Sirius works fine. Sometimes the music from my Phone sounds very bad; other times OK. I will try resetting the electronics. I am using Apple CarPlay. I will check the Apple forums. Good advice...

· Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,338 Posts
Others on these forums have discussed Sirius, and indicate the sound quality is often poor. I tend to agree 100%. I find the best quality sound in my '19 comes from a stick holding my wife's music collection that was obtained from her very very old iPod. I suspect the content was encoded digitally like most CDs. Funny, I haven't even tried the CD player in my car (probably should)... It would have the best quality. Equal to this is the content on my phone which has also been digitized with high quality (like that on a CD) that I play via the USB connection. Then slightly lesser quality is obtained via Bluetooth and streaming content from Pandora or TuneIn or Spotify, etc.

First things first:
Have you used the settings on the head unit to control your sound equalization? There are three sliders that will allow you to enhance or attenuate the low, medium and high frequency content of all sources. Make sure to set each slider of the equalizer to the mid position (neither enhanced, nor attenuated).

You will also find a control to change your left / right (called balance) and front / back (called fade) setting. You either touch the dot and slide it where you want, or you press the 4 arrows for left/right/up/down. Either way works. You can stick it right in the middle for good sound for all vehicle occupants.

Make sure you've adjusted both. Someone may have been in your vehicle when it was being "prepped", or perhaps a family member) and totally mis-adjusted them leading to your general displeasure. :devilish: :mad: :devilish:

When I'm driving, I set the position a click to the back of the front seats, and sometimes the balance (left/right) slightly towards the right. For me, personally, the closeness of the speakers to my ears in the driver's seat tends to emphasize music content that comes from the left. I want to compensate for that proximity by biasing it to the right and slightly to the rear so the sound reproduced by the audio system hits my ears with approximately the same power, left and right. This is the closest you are going to get to using a pair of head-phones.

I have never, ever found in any vehicle I've owned or rented, that sticking the balance (left/right) and the fader (front/rear) in the exact middle sounded the best from the driver's seat. YMMV.

If you've read this far, this is not known by all - it's not in the manuals: the head unit has a two "hidden" / diagnostic menus where you can do various things, one of the functions you can use to verify the operation of all your speakers and the amplifier... Don't adjust any settings except to run the audio test.

To see both menus, if I remember correctly (or you can Google it, or view it on YouTube):
Press and hold the "Home" button, and while holding it, press the "Tune" button 3 times and let go.
Press and hold the "Home" button, and while holding it, press the "Tune" button 5 times and let go.

I think it's the first one that allows you to select the audio test. It will end up sending a "white noise" signal to each individual speaker. In this way, a service person can diagnose a speaker that may have become defective or inoperative in the vehicle, or possibly a defective amplifier.

Enjoy.

· Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
I've had this occur in mine before...for some reason the head unit or phone gets confused and thinks its on a phone call, and plays music from the only speakers used in a phone call. Resetting the head unit, sometimes in combination with turning the car off and back on will/should do the trick. Unsure if it's an Apple or CarPlay issue or the head unit.

· Registered
9 Posts
2019 3.6 Touring with Navigation. When I use my Amazon music service, and the IPhone X is connected via cable, the music sounds very tinny and only plays from the dash speakers. Can anyone give me some insight to the problem? Thanks, Mel
Sorry Mel, i cannot help other than to say that my speakers sound awful. I tried fooling around with settings, to no avail.

· Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
9 Posts
Sometimes when flipping through my favourite radio stations, it flips to Sirius and then plays audio out of the front left speaker only. I usually fix it by hitting source to flip between sources and it seems to help. I almost always have Android Auto on. 2021 Outback Limited XT. I just applied to Oct 2022 firmware update, so am waiting to see if it still happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts